cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Broadband interruptions

This isn't purely a BT issue but I don't really know which way to turn and would appreciate advice.

Our BT Broadband has been pretty good for the last year or so with 4k streaming not a problem and wifi working well. Problems began perhaps coincidentally when Gigaclear started work in our village, the project is still ongoing.

We started experiencing regular dropouts and when I stated a thread on the village Facebook page and it turned out that people across the village (Folksworth, Cambs) and with various suppliers were experiencing similar problems, this included areas like our road not yet touched by Gigaclear.

Out of interest I tried the new (to me) troubleshooter last night and a problem was detected, and the hub remotely restarted. The service came back on but dropouts continued.

I don't really know who has responsibility for the village network, is it openreach or does their involvement end at the cabinet? Do Gigaclear have their own connection to the exchange or are they using the same fibre to the cabinet?

I know of one fault that was found but don't understand how it could affect the whole village, or are faults somehow upsetting the cabinet or exchange?

But the real question is how on earth can we as a village community get this sorted out?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband interruptions

@brillphilwrote:

But the real question is how on earth can we as a village community get this sorted out?

If you have a fault, contact your provider who you said was BT, they will run some tests and determine if Openreach are required, the same would apply to anyone in your community, you get in touch with who you pay to provide phone/broadband service.

It might be that there is a fault impacting others, in which case this would be found and fixed.

Message 3 of 8

The Gigaclear network is totally separate from the Openreach network and has no connection with it whatsoever. The only possibility could be that they have damaged the Openreach cables whilst installing their cables.

Message 4 of 8

Thanks, that wouldn't be surprising bearing in mind the generally poor impression of the contractors' work and safety procedures in the village.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Yeah, I'm just across the A1 to you, they've just fibred our village.

Message 6 of 8

Thanks, to be fair the troubleshooter offered a callback if not fixed, but it was getting a bit late last night. I'll pick my time better and follow the same procedure again.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi. Tactically, if a number of people are affected it would perhaps get better results/quicker response if many affected residents reported it to their ISP at about the same time!  Just a thought!! Tim

Message 8 of 8

When you talk about "dropouts" are you talking about dropouts in the broadband - meaning the BT SH2 would switch colour from Blue (good) to Orange or Purple (bad.) Or are the dropouts in the wifi? Meaning that devices connected by wifi are not accessing the internet but the BT SH2 stays blue throughout the dropout.

When a device (phone/laptop/Tv) can't access the internet it's easy to assume that the broadband has been interrupted, but it's more often a wifi issue

0 Ratings