cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Broadband reconnects at 1mbps.

Hello, back again with another unsolvable issue, apparently! I'd really, very much appreciate any help you smart folk can offer.

I'll summarise:

• Starting right after New Year 2022, broadband disconnecting approx. 2x or more per week. Up from the general 1x per fortnight
  • When it reconnects, the ethernet & wifi speed is between 1mbps & 10mbps. Unloaded MS is 1k+
  • The upload speed seems to be impacted slightly less. Dropping down to approx 6mbps, from 8-9mbps
  • The ONLY way to fix it, is a full reboot of the router, then it reconnects at the normal speed of 40-50mbps

Some notes:

• For 7+ months, my broadband was chilling out at 48mbps approx. 
  • Every 2 weeks it'd disconnect, almost like clockwork (DLM?) and reconnect with no issue
  • My ms was never high on speed tests, and my upload was always chilling out at approx. 8mbps
  • After many issues at the beginning of last year, (again, almost like clockwork) the engineers moved my router to the master socket. Replaced the socket, etc

An engineer came out last Tuesday. He checked everything indoors, told me he'd check outside. I didn't hear anything else from him. Next day I received a text saying my fault was solved & fixed. It wasn't, at all. 

What could cause such a fault to occur, and what do the symptoms suggest?

Thanks so much for any help. 

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Broadband reconnects at 1mbps.

Erm, so sorry but I don't understand why my post was moved from copper/adsl to BT fibre? 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

From the speeds you quoted you have a fibre VDSL connection not an ADSL connection hence move to fibreboard.

Can you post your hub stats please.

Check quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone - as long as you are not on digital voice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Ah, understood, ta!

Hopefully these are the stats you mean? It's been a while:

Noise margin:

6.1 dB / 3.5 dB

Line attenuation:

43.2 dB

Signal attenuation:

29.5 dB / 43.2 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

86 MB Uploaded / 1019 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-CH7S

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-CH7S

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

00:CB:51:81:02:37

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

As for the quiet line test, it doesn't seem any noisier than usual. I've checked it every now and then since I had huge problems last year, it's always just low static... kinda!

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

That is that stats but you are missing the additional information showing connection time and connection speed so can you post please.

Any noise on quiet line test is a problem. The quiet line test should be silent even static noise is a problem for your connection and stability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Product name:

BT Hub 6A
Serial number:

+084319+NQ90443505
Firmware version:

SG4B1000E020
Firmware updated:

19-Mar-2020
Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 3 Hours 39 Minutes 15 Seconds
Data rate:

9.55 Mbps / 55.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate:

9562 / 57155
Noise margin:

6.1 dB / 3.6 dB
Line attenuation:

43.2 dB
Signal attenuation:

29.6 dB / 43.2 dB
VPI / VCI:

0/38
Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type:

Fast Path
Data sent / received:

107 MB Uploaded / 1 GB Downloaded
Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:

Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-CH7S
2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-CH7S
5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode:

Mode 1
Firewall:

On
MAC address:

00:CB:51:81:02:37
Software variant:

-
Boot loader:

So sorry, hopefully that works? My previous post was changed by the forum for containing HTML code or something? Not sure!

& yeah, I understand that the noise test probably isn't perfect. I guess I'm just hunting down variables that'd cause this new problem, and that's not one that's changed, if you get me!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Apart from the short connection time your stats look ok with virtually max speed for fibre 1

Are you able to connect to the test socket which is behind the master faceplate and try quiet line test again to see if silent or still noise?  If still noise then there  is a problem outside your home and you need to report a phone fault to 150. Once fixed stability should return

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Is mild static still considered noisy?

The engineer that was here last week was all over the master socket, checking everything. I have another one coming tomorrow, I'll pass on what you suggested, so I don't mess anything up!

Just one more quick question for now: If it's not the phone line causing the issue (here, it rarely is unfortunately), is there any other obvious thing that'd cause the broadband to automatically reconnect with the low speeds, after a ''natural'' disconnect.... but when I manually restart the router, it connects with normal speeds? Does this at all indicate where the problem may be; whether it's me, or outside.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Any noise is exactly that. Your line should be silent. Get the noise problem sorted and it should address your BB problem. Just report a noisy line.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Hi @Pale91,

If your get any noise on the telephone line this will have a negative impact on the Broadband service.

Please post back and let us know how things go with the engineer today?

If the problem is still there after the visit, post back and I'll run a few checks on your connection.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings