cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband speed slow and drop outs

Go to solution

Hi All,

My first issue is last few days I've had drop outs, mainly at night, and again throughout the day today and I have an engineer coming out Wednesday to look at the fault. 

Also, 10 days ago I did away with hybrid connect as the Internet was so good on fibre 2. Getting 60 down and 18 up. Then I added a TV package 10 days ago and ever since I've had the drop outs but also the speed has dropped to 38 down and 8 up which are speeds for fibre 1. I asked the question and the woman had never heard anything like this before. Could it be the fault the engineer may solve or something else? Is it coincidence an updated was done about 10 days ago? 

I've been reading the noise margin may be the issue but I have broadband only. I've attached a screenshot of data showing my maximum data rate is achievable for fibre 2.

Screenshot_20221017-120934.jpg

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband speed slow and drop outs

Go to solution

if you do not have digital voice then try quiet line test buy dialling 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

the drops in connection look like they have resulted in DLM taking action and you are now in banded profile.  try and avoid manually resetting/disconnecting the hub as that will make matters worse

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I don't have a phone to connect to try quiet line.

Could you explain what DLM is? Is this something that will be fixed over time or will the engineer figure this out on Wednesday?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
I've been on optanet and dsl check and everything shows I can get higher speeds, just like I used to so something has  changed. Screenshot_20221017-134927__01__01.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

this should help

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

the problem is your unstable connection has resulted in your noise margin being increased resulting in a drop in connection speed in an attempt to stabilise your connection.  once you can find cause of unstable connection and get it fixed then speeds will return but may take a few weeks

if engineer fixes your problem then ask for DLM reset and that will bring speed back

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings