Re: Broadband upgrade not working - help

Go to solution

So is the Internet now working?

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 54

Go to solution

Hi
Thanks for your reply.    The 2 red clips were clicked into place properly.

I tried replacing with a grey cable.  A direct replacement from  socket 4 to the ONT did not turn on the LAN  light do I put it in socket 3 and the light  on the ONT did come on but still no internet and the purple flashing light on the hub.

7CECA0EB-6649-4C5E-B355-A03BBB2C11BE.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 54

Go to solution

Hi.   I have a grey cable and a blue one.  I tried the grey cable and  it made   no difference:

Strangely when I have spoken with 2 BT tech guys and specifically discussed the lights, non of them mentioned the LAN light not being  on.  In fact they said all is as it should be. 

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 54

Go to solution

Hi

Thank you for your reply.   I tried a grey cable but there was no change.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 54

Go to solution

Hi.  Thanks for your reply. Yes I did a factory reset 

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 54

Go to solution

Have you tried a direct connection to the ONT from your laptop as described in messages 25 and 26?

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 54

Go to solution

No it’s not   ☹️

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 54

Go to solution

The actual colour of the cable does not matter, as long as its connected from the ONT,  to the red port on the Smart Hub 2.

Not sure what else to suggest, as @iniltous  has said, the LAN light must be on for it to work, so there is either a fault on the LAN port on the ONT, or the red WAN port on the Smart Hub 2, or one of them is faulty. It really should have been checked and resolved during the installation.

I doubt Openreach would have a spare home hub with them, as they deal with lots of other providers as well.

Message 39 of 54

Go to solution

Hi

its a desk top with no wifi.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 54

Go to solution

The 4th port on your router is the only one that can work as a way to connect to the ONT , it can be ‘switched’ between being a LAN or WAN port by entering the router admin pages and turning FTTP mode on ( you should have already done this to turn port 4 from LAN to WAN ) , as already stated the colour of the plugs on the Ethernet cable don’t matter , using a different cable is just to eliminate the cable as a possible fault

….if the router is on , it’s menu option has been switched to FTTP mode , a different cable used between the ONT and router and the ONT LAN light still doesn’t come on , and BT have confirmed your account is correct configured then it’s most likely that the router is at fault ( even though it works when used on FTTC ) or the ONT is faulty.

If your computer is a desktop it will have ‘Ethernet’ , ( WiFi would be useless in this situation anyway ) , if it doesn’t have WiFi presumably it’s pretty close to where the router is placed , (otherwise how did you use it when you were on FTTC ) if the ONT was positioned nearby , then connecting the ONT directly to the PC  may not be too difficult  , try to connect its Ethernet port to the ONT and  set up a PPPoE session , if you get online , it’s definitely not the ONT but the router , if you still don’t get online the ONT may be at fault.

If it’s impossible for you to do the PPPoE , then have you been offered a new router ?, were you offered a new router when you upgraded to FTTP ?, 

If you have done factory resets on the router have you checked the FTTP ( full fibre mode ) is still ‘ON’ ?

0 Ratings