cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Can’t find my postcode

Go to solution

We are moving to a new build house and are looking to get broadband, we’ve looked on every site there is and no where recognises our postcode. I’ve checked the Royal Mail postcode finder and our address is listed on there but no broadband companies will provide us with any internet because of this. What do I do?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can’t find my postcode

Go to solution

@Bethaney 

Welcome to this user forum.

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

New builds are normally direct fibre, provided that the developer has liaised with Openreach, during the build process. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hiya, 

Thanks for your reply! I just tried that and it comes up with this message. 

Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker.” 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@Bethaney 

If there is an FTTP (Direct Fibre) connection then it may not show up on the checker.

Have you spoken to the developer to see if they are working with Openreach to provide direct fibre?

It may be the case that you will have to wait until you move in, to see if an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) has been fitted in the property. When are you moving in?

If that is the case, then BT Retail should be able to provide a connection, assuming they are the provider you want to use, as you have posted on a BT Retail Customer Forum.

If you decide to use a different provider, then you would need to post on their user forum.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Some developers don’t allow Openreach onto their site , and do a sweetheart deal with an Alt Net , or have their own in house ISP , as stated you would have to discuss this with your developer, or it could  be that OR are ‘on site’ , but the developer has released ‘plots’ in a different order to how they told OR they were to be built and released,  so you can end up in a situation where ( for example ) the OR network is available at the south end of the site ,and the new houses at the south end can get FTTP ,  because that’s where the builder said the first homes would be released for sale , and OR have provided the FTTP network in good time for these houses. The developers construction  was to proceed from the  south end to north end gradually  , so OR brought the FTTP network in at the south ‘end’ of the development, and have FTTP ready for the new builds in the south ‘end’ , and planned on extending the network as the developer started new plots , but because it suited the developer , they then build and sell a house out of the expected ‘plan’ order,  at the northern end of the site , and there is a delay while OR have to try and get the FTTP network built from the south to the north end of the site in a much shorter timescale than was envisaged .

This isn’t something OR can easily do, they are reliant on the developer to build the joint-boxes, the ducts etc in the footpaths  ( that may not yet exist)  OR also have as to rearrange the scheduling of the work , commissioning etc.

A developer cannot sell a house that doesn’t have water, sewers or electricity, but they can sell a house without ‘internet’…if that’s the case , you may have to wait , while the OR FTTP network is constructed , but it’s the developers ‘fault’ for you having to wait, because they sold the ‘plot’ instead of saying ‘that plot isn’t available for a few months’

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hiya,

So it turns out they’ve set up with a company called OFNL. I’ve looked at some of their service providers and they’re all ones I haven’t heard of. Theres one that’s in partnership with sky but hasn’t got great reviews. Ideally I wanted to go with someone like BT that I know of, but they’ve told us we can only go with the services they provide which is annoying. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@Bethaney 

It sound like you are out of luck if you want to go with an Openreach provider. There is nothing really any more that this forum can help with.

If you look on a supported provider`s user forum, it may help you decide.

I must admit, I have never heard of any of the ISPs that they supply.

0 Ratings