cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Can't get internet when connecting Asus router to ONT

Go to solution

Hello, I've just moved into an apartment with a supplied BT openreach fibre modem (the one port one). I'm trying to connect an Asus router to it but am not having any success. The router is an Asus RT-AX56U V2 (which I believe is a China only model, I brought it with me when I moved from China to UK). Had no problems using it over in China.

I've connected the router to the ONT modem, and set it up after a factory reset with a PPPoE WAN connection type. I used the account info bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT. The router is still not connecting to the internet, with the WAN light just being red instead of blue.

I've also tried connecting my PC directly to the ONT and setting up a PPPoE connection but still couldn't get internet that way. I've completely run out of ideas, and already tried everything I've found online. Any help offered would be appreciated!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can't get internet when connecting Asus router to ONT

Go to solution

Has your BT Consumer broadband been activated yet? If the Smart Hub 2 doesn't successful connect with a PPPoE session then it may not be active yet 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I would assume so because the internet is supplied by the apartment building and them modem was set up before I moved in. For the sake of trying everything though, I would I activate the connection if it wasn't done already?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@MooseyGoosey just because you have an Openreach ONT like image below. It doesn't mean you have an active broadband connection. The ONT just connects you to the Openreach Full Fibre local network and converts the light to electrical signals that a router understands.

300px-Fttp-ont-pon.jpg

You will need to place an order with a broadband communication provider that uses Openreach's full fibre network before you can then connect the router to the ONT and able to establish a successful connection.

Such as BT Consumer: https://www.bt.com/broadband