cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Cancelling an order after initial engineer visit

I'm a non-BT customer currently, thinking about switching to a full fibre package. My current copper line comes in from a pole to the front of my house at loft level, with the master socket located right next to the hatch. From there I have run an extension down to the back of my lounge via a disused chimney. This won't be an option with fibre due to the awkward routing, I'm sure the engineer would be unwilling to replicate with fibre and will like to take the easiest option which would be to bring it in at the front of the lounge. 

There is also a pole at the back of my house, this serves the houses on an adjacent road and it's also able to supply a fibre connection (as I looked up their postcode on the checker). It clearly used to supply my property at one point as there is a disused copper line running to the back of my house.

In wishing to keep at my networking equipment in one place, and avoid the potential hassle of running a Ethernet cable from the front to the back of my lounge, if bringing the fibre in at the front was the only option I would probably forgo the fibre and stick with copper. However if the new fibre line can be bought in at the back it's a go-er.

Obviously only an engineer will be able to tell me if this is possible, so my question is this:

In the event that I decide to stick with my current copper line, can I retrieve all expenses from BT (including the upfront £30ish for setup) and cancel the contract? A salesperson told me yes but I'm struggling to take their word for it. Anyone has experience of this?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Cancelling an order after initial engineer visit

Your address is ‘ mapped’ to a specific CBT ( the block on the pole ) that is the one the installer will be told  to use for your address , if it’s the one at the front of the property ( and it probably will be ) then that’s where your FTTP service will come from …the installer cannot  use a different CBT on a pole that was never designed to serve your address, just because you would prefer it….even if that alternative CBT is on the same splitter as the CBT your address is designed to  ( and it doesn’t necessarily have to be ) it shouldn’t be considered,   if is  on a different splitter , the initial configuration wouldn’t be correct , so your ONT wouldn’t sync anyway.

If you were served from a CBT your address was never designed to be on , it could   be at the expense of someone else whose property  is correctly mapped to that CBT , not being able to get service at some point in the future (because your service is occupying a port it shouldn’t be on and no spare port was available on it)

If there isn’t an external route from the front to the back of the property that would provide the cable entry at the point you want it , then you may as well cancel now, as far as ordering service and they cancelling on the day the installer visits if they won’t provide what you want ,I would advise against that.