cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Cannot get an exchange reset for sudden drop from 70 Mbps to 24 Mbps

For most of the past year or so, my broadband download speed has been well above 60 Mbps. About two weeks ago it dropped to around 24 Mbps.

No change in the hardware at my end.

Speedtest shows that my highest speed was 72.46 Mbps (09:49 PM on 12.25.23) with an average if 43.04.

Every now and then, the download speed dropped down to ~40 Mbps. Occasionally it was nearer 27 Mbps.

If the slower speed persisted for more than a few days, I ran the on-line tests. Sometimes this detected an issue on the connection and a few days later it would go back up.

Occasionally the system decided that I needed an OpenReach "engineer" to visit to fix it. Again, a day or two later, always before the scheduled visit, the speed would bump back up to 65 - 70 Mbps.

A couple of weeks ago, the download speed dropped from 65 Mbps (09:34 PM on 01.15.24) to 27.09 Mbps (10:23 AM on 01.17.24).

It has since settled down to around 24 Mbps, which is a third of the top speed I have seen.

I left it to fester for a few days and then started the on-line check. It seems that the system has changed. The on-line test is very different. There is no automatic escalation to an engineering visit, just a message to my mobile number that ended up with a call from Ireland. I talked to someone whose script did not seem to allow the input I have given here.

During this I call was told that there is nothing that BT can do for me because I am not using its Homehub. (Why anyone would use that junk is beyond me.) The on-line tests involve rebooting the Homehub modem/router, something that I have done several times with my own modem and router.

Worse, when I tried to take it further, to get BT to pass this to OpenReach, I was told that BT only guarantees me a 24 Mbps connection, so tough.

There was an attempt to pass me on to someone whose only answer was to try to sell me a service that would give me a mobile backup connection. But that was at a higher price and wouldn't do anything about my current speed problem.

Is there any way around this new test and support process that could get some real action?

Is there a different way into the testing system along the lines of the old IPConfig route?

For background, I have a second VDSL line and home network that consistently runs at around 55 Mbps with rare dips, to 30 Mbps. Never had any need to try an on-line check or call for an engineer.

With the right technology properly tweaked I could probably get that line to deliver more than 24 Mbps to my second (office) network. But first I'd like to see it I can get the current line fixed.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Cannot get an exchange reset for sudden drop from 70 Mbps to 24 Mbps

can you post the connection stats from your router

as you are not using hub then you are not on digital voice so can you check phone for line noise by dialling 17070 option 2  should be totally silent

can you post results from dslchecker

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

should be totally silent

Indeed it is.

can you post results from dslchecker

That threw up a page of stuff. Anything particular to look for?

Post it how? Does this work?

michaelkenward_0-1706437443293.png

Thanks for stepping in. This is a baffler. Years without real problems and high speeds and then this brick wall.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

I assume you did actually get dial tone on the phone when you tried it, as the speed drop would tend to indicate a disconnection on one wire?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

the checker shows expected range 60/42mb and currently connection 27mb at 25/1

are you able to post connection stats from your router - connection speed, noise margins etc

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

I assume you did actually get dial tone on the phone when you tried it, as the speed drop would tend to indicate a disconnection on one wire?

Yes. Dialling tone is loud and clear.

The line is rarely used for phone calls. It was installed to work as fax and dial-up "broadband"!

Don't the people who deal with these customer queries run tests like that? They used to.

I get the impression that the mere mention of not using the Homehub was the end of the discussion as far as they were concerned.

I have two Homehubs one for each line (still in their shrink wrap). Is putting one of them on line the only way to get them to pay attention?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

I would connect one of  the home hubs, and leave it connected for a few days to see if the speed increases, as its possible that BT have made some changes to the connection profile, that only works best with the Smart Hub 2.

You are not going to get 70mbs, as the speed range for your line is 42.4Mbs  to 60.6Mbs.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

I would connect one of  the home hubs, and leave it connected for a few days to see if the speed increases, as its possible that BT have made some changes to the connection profile, that only works best with the Smart Hub 2.

You are not going to get 70mbs, as the speed range for your line is 42.4Mbs  to 60.6Mbs.

Will do. Not sure which generation of Home Hubs I have. Do they finally have a "modem only" option?

Or do I have to mess around with my carefully configured network of expensive Netgear routers and satellites?

But how can we explain my Highest Speed of 72.46 and consistent run of tests 65 to 72 Mb/s?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

How long ago did you get the faster speed?

As more people are connected to the cabinet, the connection speed would drop, hence the lower expected speed range.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

How long ago did you get the faster speed?

I got the faster speed last month, just before this collapse.

As I said in my first long winded message:

Speedtest shows that my highest speed was 72.46 Mbps (09:49 PM on 12.25.23) with an average if 43.04.

As more people are connected to the cabinet, the connection speed would drop, hence the lower expected speed range.

They did build a new estate in the village where they have the exchange, Handcross, but that was completed a few years ago. It may even be on a different exchange. It is nearer to Crawley.

0 Ratings