cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Confused ONT / BT Smart HUB2

Go to solution

I recently had BT fibre 150 installed Fttp , my question is does the BTS mart Hub 2 contain a modem or is the NOKIA ONT the modem. The reason I ask is appears that the hub doesn't have modem only mode as I was thinking of connecting an eero router directly to the ONT and then using the smart hub2 as a switch. I have also noticed that there is no option on the BT SH 2 to change the bt DNS server to say the google DNS,  hense my interest in using  for a eero.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Confused ONT / BT Smart HUB2

Go to solution

The ONT is the modem. You can connect a PPPoE capable router directly to it.

However, if you have Digital Voice, it will only work if the hub is connected directly to the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you I did suspect the ONT was the modem and not the HUB.  As much as the HUb is gives good coverage iits somewhat locked down. Presumably when using say the eero I would need to log in the BT usemanme and password.  Thank you for your reply. Very helpful.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

the login is generic

bthomehub@btbroadband .com

password  can be anything often just use BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Being a little pedantic, FTTP doesn’t need or use a Modem ( modulator/ demodulator ) it’s a  different transmission system, but the ONT ( optical network termination ) does the same task as the Modem .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Being even more pedantic, yes it does.

Modem is an abbreviation for modulate/demodulate.

The laser in the ONT is being modulated by the Ethernet signal applied to it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I did state what MODEM was  an abbreviation for , 

Ask a question like is an ONT a modem , you get a split , Yes and No , I would argue the answer is No  for the reason that 

Modulation is defined as the process of superimposing a low-frequency signal on a high-frequency carrier signal, or the process of varying the RF carrier wave in accordance with the information in a low-frequency signal, the optical signal in a PON isn’t modulated in the way a RF analogue signal in a traditional Modem

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Sigh, here we go again.

How do you think a pure laser beam carries information unless it is modulated by the Ethernet input to the device?

You need to think of modulation in its broader sense.