cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Connection dropping to 0.03mbps

Every hour or so, for about 2 minutes, the broadband speed drops to near zero, but doesn't disconnect.

I've had a BT engineer come out, and see that we have had connection drops, but he couldn't see why. 

Openreach came out, and tested the line, he said it looked ok. 

Ive replaced the router, so it isn't that. We've done a hard reset, bt changed the channels because there looked like a bit of congestion, it wasn't that.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do next? I spoke to an advisor, but they basically just apologised and refunded my bill this month, then tried to upsell me. I guess I can do that every month and not pay, but I'd rather just have good service again.

At this point, I figure it must be something to do with devices connecting to the hub. Does anyone know what I can look for in the event logs? When it drops, there's always a bunch of messages about an unknown mac address failing to connect / deauth, but, that's kind of whatever. One of the computers was somehow repeatedly setting up port forwarding, which again isn't really much, but I turned upnp off all the same, didn't help.

I'm just at a loss as to what my options even are at this point? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connection dropping to 0.03mbps

What sort of BB have you got, presumably copper ADSL/VDSL?

Do you have a landline connected, if so try a quiet line test 17070.

What sort of faceplate do you have on the master socket? Can you remove the front and plug the router directly into the  remaining socket and test it that way?

How are you testing the speed, with a PC using Ethernet direct to the router? Can you make sure nothing else is connected to the router whilst you test? Which site are you testing against?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hey, thanks for replying! 

So it's BTs fibre broadband, which I'm given to understand is not actually fibre? But, yeah home hub 2 / hybrid. 

Don't have a home phone, but I'm pretty sure the openreach guy did a quiet line test, he found nothing. Then again, I don't think we actually had a drop while he was there, frustratingly. 

The faceplate says master socket 5C, it's got a G.fast port and a phone port. How do I plug the broadband into the remaining socket, presumably I need to use a converter? I've got one of those DSL472 white converters? 

Admittedly, so far, I haven't tested wired. I'll do that tonight. It just seemed kind of futile, since it's all devices, no matter the distance, it started suddenly, and switching router didn't fix it, but yes. Still a good idea. I tested with nothing else connected, and yeah, still the issue. I'll try with just a wired connection. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

from what you posted you are on G.FAST  fibre to the cabinet and copper to your home

if your devices are all wireless and dropping connection at times you really need to use an ethernet conenct device and see if the drops affect that device as well as wifi.  it does sound more like a wifi problem than an internet connection problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Ok, yeah, thanks I'll check that out tonight.

What sort of thing could cause that if it is just a wifi issue? Given that, it's not the location of the hub, and it's not the hub itself? (You can stand right next to it and still get the drops).

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

If the faceplate is the clip on type they are notorious for not being fully clipped on. Make sure it is properly secured.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

The cover doesn't seem to be on wrong, seems pretty firm.

Oddly, I've checked, it's doing it every 25 minutes. Not quite on the dot, but close enough to be weird? Does that point to anything? 

Going to try and do the ethernet cable test now. 

0 Ratings