cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Connectorised Block Terminal but no FTTP

Hi.

We moved house a while back and at the time knew we couldn't get fibre internet as the house is somewhat rural. However, whilst out recently I noticed that the telegraph poles leading to our house (and neighbours) have little yellow signs on saying "caution overhead fibre". I also noticed a black plastic box on the pole one away from our house but from which our house is connected. After a bit of digging around I learned that it's a Connectorised Block Terminal. These are not new, it's just I've only just noticed then.

Having had a quick check online again I could see that the service checkers were still saying we're not connected and not in plan. So I contacted BT Openreach and got back what appeared to be a fairly generic message saying the same.

Does anyone know what would still be left to do once the telegraph poles nearby have the cables and CBT? And does anyone know how I could chase this up with someone at BT because to the untrained eye it appears we have what we need in place but are being told no and we're not in plan. It's almost like they've done the install but not updated systems so anyone sat in an office who knows where can only check systems which still say no.

Obviously I could be completely wrong but just trying to get an idea of what has/hasn't been done and whether we're likely to get FTTP anytime soon.

Thanks in advance,

Ash

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connectorised Block Terminal but no FTTP

you can openreach  https://www.openreach.com/broadband-network/fibre-availability

you can also enter your address and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Yeah, I'd checked these before. The Openreach basically just says no and the I don't know any of the details to use the wholesale one 😞 That's why I was looking for any info on whether it sounds like we do have things in place and/or whether there was someone I could contact to check properly rather than just what's recorded on some system. Do Openreach do engineer visits to actually take a look at stuff?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

just select the address in the dslchecker then enter your address there is nothing additional to enter

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

You say the CBT is on a pole one away from your house , have you checked the addresses that can be served directly from that pole if FTTP is available to them ?, if it is , for those addresses but not yours , then it could simply be that you are ( unfortunately ) the wrong side of the boundary for the PON that the CBT is part of , PON areas have boundaries  that don’t necessarily make sense to those without all the ‘planning’ information to hand .

If those addresses also have no FTTP availability, it can also be the case that FTTP builds get started , the criteria for deployment changes ( usually financial in nature ) , and the build stops , it may seem strange to start and not finish a build but the economics of FTTP deployment is far from straightforward.

Its also possible , especially if other very close by addresses can order FTTP , that your individual address has been incorrectly omitted from the addresses that can get FTTP , in which case you would need to contact Openreach under the guise of ‘my neighbour can get FTTP but I can’t ‘ and they should check if there is a problem with your address , especially in rural areas where the addressing can be vague so unlike No.1 Coronation Street Wethersfield , Lancashire , it’s something like Rose Cottage or Spire View ,and then  just the village name , or road , but the road covers a relatively large area , if there is some discrepancy between Openreach address record and the Royal Mail entry , then problems will arise raising because of it .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Are you sure its an Openreach CBT, it could belong to an AltNet provider.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

If there is a possibility that the CBT might be a non-Openreach ("altnet") provider, you can try the map at Better Internet Dashboard  with your postcode to see what other providers might be available or planned for your address.

0 Ratings