Message 11 of 17

Re: Demarcation box

Go to solution

What’s in the conduit right now?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

Your initial question was a little misleading, rather than asking if a continuous cable from the CBT to the ONT can be used ( it can’t ) , all you are really asking is if the CSP can be some distance from where the external cable would ‘hit’ the property wall , and close to where the ONT is required, that’s not an unusual request, and if practical, would be considered by the installer , you would still have a CSP and a second ( internal) optical cable to the ONT from the CSP  , but that second cable much shorter given that  the CSP is now closer to the ONT location , the installer won’t particularly care it’s the same amount of cabling work.

The potential problem I would foresee with you supplying your own 70m plus of conduit and expecting it to be used, is  if you have not provided a draw rope inside this conduit,  could  a cable  be pulled through it without a draw rope ?,  also , should your neighbour sharing the driveway you don’t want disturbed, could they benefit from this conduit should they also order FTTP , are your properties connected ( semi detached) or separate detached houses , would another conduit be necessary for them ?

TBH , it’s not really possible to know what the first stage install techs will make of this ( presumably you are a KCI2 install process according to this checker site ) , they may go along with this , or they may refuse and if you don’t agree to the normal installation process they were expecting to provide ,they  simply walk away … 70m of excavation, especially if it’s driveway and not soft surface ( like grass ) , I’m surprised there is no contribution required, as that’s probably a £3k expense on its own , what does your address show on this checker 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressFeatureProduct

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Nothing. Empty. Installed just for fibre. Sorry, should have made it clear.

Crashandlearn.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

Right OK.

What kind of Conduit is it, is it Duct 56?

Openreach will be reluctant to use yours as sooner or later they’ll ultimately end up taking responsibility for it (you and your neighbour won’t live there forever) and if in the future say the conduit collapses and they need to replace the Fibre Cable then they would have to source that particular type as opposed to using their standard Duct, which would be Duct56.

If you went to the trouble of digging this Conduit in, you probably should’ve checked what Openreach would use.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution
Not sure this is any use but I used a decorative trunking kit that you fix above skirting boards to get my fibre in. It has a D cross section and comes in various sizes, it has corner kits and blends in reasonabley well.

Although I only have to go around 1 room. Fibre appears at the housel duct appearance and they drilled through the wall, into the decorative ducting rather than follow the old copper wall box. Min radius bends were all good.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

I doubt the Installer would be bothered about using customers trunking internally like yours.

The issue here clearly is the OP wanting Openreach to use None Industry Standard Ducting on the External Network.

Openreach won’t usually do that because as I said I’m my previous comment they would sooner or later have to adopt it and be responsible for it.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks to all who replied. All replies were helpful and at least I can use the correct

Caravanj – I should have been clearer.

Imjolly – Thanks for the info, shows in can be done.

Pippincp – The external run around the house would be too long. Easier to go up the wall and through the loft which will have the conduit running in it so no contractor access required.

Initous – Nicely summarised. There is a draw string. My neighbour would not benefit since his house is already next to the road and has been run with the fibre cable clipped to the house wall. My house is effectively in his back garden. No contribution for excavation has been mentioned but will not take place anyway. Thanks for the link, followed up and nothing explicit.

36ULW – The conduit is 20 mm flexible polypropylene laid at surface level under the boundary hedges. It is intended as a mechanical protection for the brown external cable. If the conduit got damaged (unlikely) it could simply be ripped up and replaced.

1. Thanks

0 Ratings