cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Does smart hub have to be plugged into ONT?

For full fibre to home, I believe my old normal master socket will be replaced with an ONT fibre terminal box.

Does the smart hub HAVE to be plugged into the ONT direct?

Currently  my smart hub is fitted to another telephone socket in the house to get better coverage, and works fine. 

If getting an ONT what happens then? Do the older telephone sockets around house become defunct? (I also have digital land line phone plugged into a different socket, not the master)

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Does smart hub have to be plugged into ONT?

you need to connect hub/router to the ONT.  You are probably also getting moved to digital voice and if so you need to connect phone to green socket on back of SH2  your existing sockets will no longer work 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Could be a problem than as I think ONT needs a power source as well as the phone base station, which I didn’t know about. There is a shortage of plugs at this point.

BT didn’t mention any of this. Why does the SH2 need to be plugged into the ONT? Can it not be ran through Ethernet/power line or something? Very restrictive for my setup if not. Means have the SH2 in the worst place, ie bottom floor, for a 3 storey house  

So no telephone sockets in test of house will work anymore? BT also didn’t mention that. 

Also currently I have my Bt TV connected wires as it’s next to my SH2, so now what happens with that?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Discuss with the install engineer the best place for the ONT. It dosen't need to be where the current master socket is.

You can connect the hub with a long ethernet lead if required.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

The SH2 needs to be connected to the ONT (which needs a power socket) but it doesn't have to be adjacent. You can connect via up to 100 metres of Ethernet or powerline adapters, although with the latter you may not get full speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I find it very hard to believe that noting was mentioned on the phone/online or in order confirmations tbh, if you definitley weren't told about anything i'd be complaining as it's very important info

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@garybs29you seem to forget an Openreeach installer will discuss the install of the ONT with the customer requirements are met if possible to the best of their ability. If not other options are suggested. You may find the Openreach is willing to install the ONT on the second floor if an electric socket is available. They've done it many times as reported on this forum.

0 Ratings