cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Download speed drops to virtually zero while uploading

Firstly this only began to happen when I replaced a blown Daytrek after a thunderstorm.

I have BT Infinity over copper.

I connected my TP-Link modem/router and found download speeds where dropping severley every now and then.

Connected my BT Hub6 to try to resolve, plus to let BT staff see what was going on.

Problem persisted so happens with both devices.

I've noticed that when I'm uploading - usually images to my host - the download speed drops to almost nothing. My speedtest app fails even to connect for a test.

I stress this problem didn't exist until a) - after the thunderstorm and b) - only when connected the alternative hubs/routers.

Driving me mad ......

BTW - my line is testing fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Download speed drops to virtually zero while uploading

If you are maxing out your upload speed with image uploading then that will kill your download speed  you could dial back the upload speed to improve your download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 3

Re: Download speed drops to virtually zero while uploading

Many thanks for the reply.

Please bear with me as I'm a real amateur but I thought you could only upload a very narrow bandwidth and the user couldn't change the BT settings.

I could well be misunderstanding.

My download is 20.4 Mbps and upload is 1 Mbps on test.

I can only refer back to previous experience and this has never been an issue before when uploading images. Also the images are not uploading any faster than previously.

I have experienced a drop in speed on occasions even when not uploading but today that seemed to be the trigger for me.

My wife works from home so a steady service is crucial.

0 Ratings