cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

BT FTTP and ONT modem problem

Will switch over to BT broadband (FTTP available). My current setup is Virgin hub (in Modem mode) and Netgear Orbi Mesh in Router mode off it. I have a copper landline as well.

1. By switching to BT 500mb, I will lose the copper line but can have a landline off the BTy broadband hub. But as the BT hub cannot run in a modem mode, I will have issue with Orbi router, if connected to it. Is there a way round this please?
  2. I can connect the Orbi to the Openreach ONT directly, but the Orbi does not have any telephone points on it.
  3. Can I connect Orbi to ONT and the BT Hub to one of the Orbi ethernet points? Will the phone then work off the BT Hub?
  4. I think I can buy a modem and use it in place of the BT Hub. Not sure if phones can be connected to these kinds of modems only.
  5. Have Asus RT-AC86U (with 2 USB ports) which is in AP mode – ethernet connection to the Orbi.

Is there another solution to this?

Apologies for a lengthy post!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT FTTP and ONT modem problem

This has been covered on the forum so have you actually tried the search facility? 

If you want to use digital voice then the SH2 must be directly connected to the ONT not via anything else

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

You can do one of 2 things, put the Orbi in access point mode (if it has one) or connect it's WAN port to the BT hub and live with double natting. 

The only way to have Digital Voice is to connect the BT hub directly to the ONT and any other devices to the hub.

Message 4 of 17

@licquorice 

Thanks. I have AP mode which I will need to explore. Also, not sure if one can disable wifi etc in Sky hub. If I can, I guess double net can be can option

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

@wizzard 

If you mean the BT hub not sky the yes you can turn off the hub wifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

@imjolly 

Yes - meant BT Hub wifi turn off.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Or just leave it on and have 2 networks

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

@imjolly 

I assume I cannot turn off the DHCP on the BT Hub?

1. If I turn off WiFi on BT Hub and use Orbi in AP Mode, I assume all Ip addresses will be provided by BT HUB (but WiFi will be through Orbi)

2. If I turn off WiFi on the BT Hub and run Orbi in Router mode, will Orbi provide the WiFi and Ip addresses?

3. I need the telephone connection - reason to use the BT Hub.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

@licquorice 

Have two networks - you mean just switch off wifi on BT Hub and let Orbi run as Router?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

@wizzard wrote:

@imjolly 

I assume I cannot turn off the DHCP on the BT Hub?

You can if you wish.

1. If I turn off WiFi on BT Hub and use Orbi in AP Mode, I assume all Ip addresses will be provided by BT HUB (but WiFi will be through Orbi)

Correct

2. If I turn off WiFi on the BT Hub and run Orbi in Router mode, will Orbi provide the WiFi and Ip addresses?

Both will provide IP addresses to their respective networks. If you connect the hub to the Orbi WAN port in router mode you have 2 networks. If you turn off DHCP and WiFi on the hub and give the Orbi WAN port a static IP address in the hub range with a gateway address of 192.168.1.254, only the Orbi will give IP addresses and nothing will be able to connect directly to the hub. All connections will be via the Orbi except for Digital Voice.

3. I need the telephone connection - reason to use the BT Hub.

0 Ratings