cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Download speeds from BT vs BT Speed Tester

Go to solution

I have a BT landline and Broadband package that I tested with BT's speed tester link today.  Results as follows:

Download 135Mbps

Upload 26Mbps

These are fine for me.

However, when I look at the "deals" on offer from both BT and others for my postcode, both with a landline (i.e. voice calls ) and without (landline but no voice calls) the maximum download speed quoted is 66Mbps.  

Can anyone explain this rather large apparent discrepancy between new offers and current BT package?  I want to switch to BT Broadband without landline calls (the broadband would still be over the copper connection) but do not want to degrade my broadband speed.

(Note: sadly there is no full fibre to the home option for me, despite being in a London borough, because that would be my real preference. )

TIA

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Download speeds from BT vs BT Speed Tester

Go to solution

The speed shown is the average speed taken from all broadband use in that area. It is meaningless but the Government insisted that was how ISP were to show the average rather than "up to" speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I don't think you are comparing the same packages.  with speeds you quote you are on GFAST whereas the 66mb quoted is for customers on FTTC fibre 2 with max connection speed of 80mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@jmjolly

Thanks for the prompt reply.  You are right, I am not comparing like for like.  But what I go to BT or a 3rd party site for broadband (over copper) without voice, the 66 Mbps is the best I get.  When I go direct to BT via chat and my current package, I am quoted up to 150M (I get about 130Mbps).  I am chatting with BT now trying to get more info.  Not sure I will, but hey ho!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

you can enter you phone number and this will show what is available to you

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

GFAST is not really sold anymore and cabinets are no longer upgraded for GFAST as the FTTP rollout gathers pace

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks to all who replied so quickly to my query this morning.  I spoke to BT, who were actually informative on this occasion.

Our current connection is indeed (as some of you have said) GFast.  This provides up to 150Mbps download (ours measured 135M this morning) but this is available ONLY if you have a voice package.   The broadband only options max out at around 66Mbps and this is an FTTC (not GFast) connection.  Clearly it's the same copper from my home to the cabinet, so it must be the connection in the cabinet and/or QoS/Service/MUX  (or whatever) setting for the port in the cabinet that determines what you get.  This sounds like "money for old rope" - or copper in this case 🙂

Thanks all.  I am now informed, even though not entirely happy because I am paying for voice that I do not use, but don't want to compromise my download speed.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@n1msr 

bear in mind that doing away with ability to make/receive phone calls on home phone will only save you a max of £5pm probably less unless you have a calls package which would also cease and be a saving

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

G.Fast is also an FTTC connection. The differece is the tech used to deliver the product. VDSL or G.Fast.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

You can order SoGFast Fibre Broadband is the GFast single order without phone line.

0 Ratings