cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Duct Blocking Method Used by Openreach for FTTP Installations

It’s soon going to become common in all New Build Homes in the U.K. 

Well, sort of.

Openreach are trialling a CSP that built into a mini footway box within the Boundary for the Subs premises.

From there they’ll be a Duct that then goes directly into the property. 

As said, it’s in Trial Phase at the minute but I’d imagine Openreach will press ahead with it.

Message 12 of 15

Interesting

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

I didn’t read the original post sufficiently well to appreciate that it’s not Openreach that are confused by the duct seal but some alternative network person and it’s the alternative network that have no way to replace it should they remove it , be interesting if they screwed up and flooded the building or worse caused an explosion  ( although very unlikely) by not re sealing a duct correctly,  I wonder who would be liable in these circumstances  ? ,  and in a similar vein , I very much doubt an alternative network should be smashing their way into an a Openreach duct that in all likelihood is not blocked , to divert it to another location, just because they are unable to reseal duct entry , if they hit a duct blockage and repaired that damage , thats one thing ( allowable under PIA )  , but to divert the duct elsewhere is something else , sounds like this Alt Net should be riding around on horses and wear Stetson’s and spurs .

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

I didn’t read the original post sufficiently well to appreciate that it’s not Openreach

Yeah, sorry, that may have been my mistake to be honest. I was trying to avoid talking about other networks on a BT forum and focus on trying to understand the OpenReach installation. I wasn't sure if i was being fobbed off.

I very much doubt an alternative network should be smashing their way into an a Openreach duct that in all likelihood is not blocked

This is what I was thinking too. It all feels very odd. I asked them when they were going around setting up a few months back and they said they have some arrangement with OpenReach to use their pits (not sure if that's the right term) and ducting between.

I know you're not suggesting I do, but I'm not going to try and police them on touching OR stuff, but I'm going to make it clear that I want them to put it up the existing ducting and reseal rather than digging all over the place and drilling holes in my wall. If they're not willing to accommodate that, or give me a good reason why, I'll likely just withdraw from the whole thing.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

Alternative Networks ( you don’t want to name the one in question , but City Fibre , Netomnia , BRSK to name three ,  but there are dozens of then ) are allowed under PIA ( physical infrastructure access ) to use Openreach poles , ducts and jointboxes ( what you called pits ) , they pay a peppercorn rent to use space on or in these assets , but obviously shouldn’t damage these assets in the process of using them.

FWIW , the solution to them not having the necessary equipment to seal the existing duct , is not your preferred one , but also not what they proposed, they should provide their own new duct from the Openreach jointbox to your building , not divert the existing Openreach one ( by doing so , they interfere  with Openreach’s own use of the duct )

It’s not your preferred  solution , but it’s the only appropriate one if they cannot seal the existing duct , which is not exactly rocket science 

0 Ratings