cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

FF install - will they place where current phone socket is?

Go to solution

Hi,

Openreach booked to install FF (this will replace current fibre to copper broadband).

Will they be able to feed it through at the current position in the wall and replace the telephone connection point with the new FF box?

I just realised that it is currently, internally, on a narrow brick wall column around the door frame and then at a right angle to where it feeds in from the outside. If they where to continue straight in there are radiator water pipes running down that section of the wall (which are boxed in), so best avoid that.

Is the new box bigger than a telephone socket?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: FF install - will they place where current phone socket is?

Go to solution

The box they fit internally is an ONT one which I think mean Optical Network termination and needs to be powered from a nearby mains supply and you Hub will also need to be close to that as well, if possible so that it can be connected to this box via by the  Ethernet cable and so generally it's something you discuss with the installer and what they're prepared to do. And now the experts will tell you exactly what's involved.

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Cheers, the current situation is right next to a double power socket (it's where the router is plugged in).
So this would be the ideal place for it from my point of view.
We are losing the telephone line so would be perfect to replace the telephone socket with this.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Your current phone, whether that be a corded one or DECT cordless one will then be plugged into the green socket on the back of the Smart Hub 2 and if the latter of course that will need its usual power supply as well. If you don't want your phone there you can get a Digital Voice Adapter which will enable you to have the phone in another room rather than plugged into the router.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

if this is how existing cable runs ' around the door frame and then at a right angle to where it feeds in from the outside' fibe cannot installed with right angle bends.  bends are more like going round  a 10p coin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I was limited for space where my copper telephone socket was (I had a cupboard built around it) so I did as you say and asked the engineer to remove my old copper telephone wire and use the existing hole for the fibre connection to my ONT.

The ONT is a similar size to a master socket, however, the fibre coming in from the external box plugs into the bottom of the ONT rather than going into the back like the copper into a mastersocket.

As mentioned above, the engineer has to be conscious of bend radius of the fibre line, this meant the final placement of my ONT was around 50mm diagonally up and right from where my master socket used to be.

But it fit 🙂