cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

FTTP Install (ONT Placement)

Go to solution

Hi, my wife and I have decided to upgrade to FTTP with BT.  The current copper-wired master socket in our house is in an awkward position but is then extended to behind our TV where the router resides.  The master socket doesnt have a power socket near it and is in a bad location for running Cat6/7 cable to the router in its currently location. We dont particularly want cabling on the outer walls of our house, so I was thinking about wiring a socket behind the walls near to the current master socket and also a Cat6 or 7 cable (with RJ45 sockets) to the study room upstairs where I want the new router to live. I'm worried about putting all the effort in for OR come along and saying that I cant do that. Can anyone advise?

Thanks  

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP Install (ONT Placement)

Go to solution

fibre cable would normally enter your home at that same place as your existing telephone cable - underground or from pole?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi, 

It's underground. I saw a neighbour getting it installed and it looked like it entered the house where the existing master socket. I'm just looking to see if it's worth me wiring up power to the master socket area and a network cable from there (behind walls) to the study upstairs where it can be plugged into the new router.  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

The ONT and router do not have to be adjacent to each other. If you are happy to have the ONT located where the master socket is currently located, it is perfectly fine for you to provide the necessary power socket for it and Cat5e cable to another location for the router up to a maximum distance of 100 metres.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

The ONT doesn’t need to be where the copper master socket is , but if it’s where it’s wanted , that’s fine , obviously if you want the ONT where the master socket is , it will require a mains connection…running an Ethernet connection from this location to the preferred location for the router isn’t a problem .

If you want the least amount of Openreach cabling visible, so the CSP on the exterior wall where the underground cable appears and the ONT pretty much opposite this location but on the internal wall is probably the easiest ‘job’ the OR tech can hope for , so it’s unlikely they would say it’s not viable, but obviously you need to provide the power and cable to the router location.