cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

FTTP - What the maximum cable run from the pole to house and questions about running the cable round

Happy New Year all. My current service (an ok FTTC connection) runs underground to my house as we have no wires running overhead, a common setup on my street . OR FTTP has been put in but runs to the nearest telegraph pole rather than following the existing setup, this is around 70m away in a straight line and has line of sight issues with tree in the way. There is a transit pole closer on the other side of the road but this lengthens the run to 85m.

Both distances are measured on google maps and go to the closest side of the building, however the point i need the line to come in is round the other side so there is an additional approx 20m to run.

this sounds like quite a long run to me and if not over the maximum distance very much on the cusp, am i right in this assumption and if so any suggestions as to what i can do please ?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: FTTP - What the maximum cable run from the pole to house and questions about running the cable r

Depends what Openreach have in stock. I believe for the connectorised cables max of 150meters is around the norm but seen online that there can be longer ones but no as available.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Re: FTTP - What the maximum cable run from the pole to house and questions about running the cable r

Overhead FTTP Cable come in pre cut lengths of;

33m, 55m, 105m, 160m and 350m.

The maximum span allowed between the Pole and your house is 68m.

Openreach try to put every property served off a PON within 120m of a CBT but in case where’s that’s not possible that’s why they have the 350m.

You said the line to your house is UG, is it to a UG Distribution Point, if so chances are there’s a CBT in there as well.

Also just because your line goes UG into your house it’s not uncommon for it to then go up a Pole to an OH Distribution Point.

Also what’s a ‘Transit Pole’?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

If you are interested in FTTP then check to see if it is available. It may show you on the “offers” page of your MyBt. If not there is another checker Here 

If it is available I wouldn’t worry too much about how they do it, save for the actual cabling on your property. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

@stevebrass  Its available i was just checking the situation as it seems a very long way to the pole

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

@Starwire thanks for the response , When I say transit pole im referring to a pole that  is across the road from the main pole and has no cables aside from the one coming from the main pole up the road,

My road is long and there are no poles for 300m+ to the left and the  70m one i mention in my post id the first one .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

it’s called a Carrier Pole, not a Transit Pole and would be of zero use anyway as it far exceeds the 68m span rule.

Do you know if your line is on a Underground Distribution Point or is it on the one on the Pole?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

I've googled CBT and can see something at the top of the pole that looks right. In the mean time I've booked an OR visit , lets see where this journey takes me.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

How's your telephone line delivered, overhead or underground?

0 Ratings