cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

FTTP connection

So my local exchange is due to the next round of FTTP upgrade.

My question relates to the connection from the street to my house, as my house was built around 1995 and currently there is a shared private block paving road to my house and 2 others.

Now will they have to dig this all up, or is there ducting for the copper connection to my property for the standard phone line?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP connection

@jam2000 

How does the current line get to the property?

You'll need to wait for the build to happen but a survey of the area Openreach are building in will aid in the planning of the FTTP network build out 

Openreach may use existing infrastructure be that underground or overhead and they may too install new poles or underground ducting.

If it's private land and it's where they need to build they may reach out for a wayleave: https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/obtaining-wayleaves

Message 3 of 8

Housing built in 1995 will almost certainly be ducted , so probably no reason to disturb anything, the optical cables use the same ducts and joint boxes , but there is always the chance that the existing duct is ‘blocked’ after all it’s nearly 30 years old , if that’s the case , block paving is actually pretty simple, take blocks up , repair duct , relay blocks

Message 4 of 8

@jac_95 I would assume via ducting underground, as there is just a cable coming up from underground and box on the outside wall of my house.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

There’s a 50% Percent your house is Ducted and there’s a 50% chance it isn’t.

Unfortunately no stranger on the Internet will know for sure. You’d be best off asking someone who lives in the house.

Message 6 of 8

If you find the external junction box where the phone line enters the house there should be a Plastic cover that goes down to the ground, which covers the duct. It should look like the image below. 

NB the original BT junction box was where the Openreach box is now.

Duct.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

This is the current connection into the housePXL_20240529_114009275.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi jam2000

Your property definitely has a duct to the BT Manhole, you can see the plug in the top of it

0 Ratings