cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

FTTP does the existing line running from the top of the telegraph pole get changed?

Go to solution

Hello,

Curious on FTTP as to whether the existing line running from the top of the telegraph pole get changed? Reason I ask is over a year ago I was a BT customer and we had FTTC. Inexplicably my connection dropped several times a day. Some kind of line fault which never got fixed despite several BT engineers being sent. They did various things (apart from actually going up the pole despite my pleas!). Anyway I lost patience and it was interfering with my work from home. So I switched to Virgin and internet has been good as gold. In no hurry to return to BT. However if I did then our street now has FTTP available. So I wondered on the line (dropwire iis the name ??? I think) already running to our house as to whether that gets changed? I'd prefer it to be as my previous issues may of meant it was faulty and even if it did need to be used it's impossible because the lousy Virgin engineer got a bit over excited with wire cutters and cut the line away at the point it went through the wall into our house. 

thanks,

Wayne

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTP does the existing line running from the top of the telegraph pole get changed?

Go to solution

Yes, FTTP will require a brand new Fibre Drop Wire that’ll connect to a CSP on the outside wall.

Then a Fibre Cable goes from the CSP into your house and connects to an ONT, which is basically a Modem that requires Mains Power.

Your Router will then plug into the ONT via an Ethernet Cable.

Basically it’s completely separate from the existing copper Network.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: FTTP does the existing line running from the top of the telegraph pole get changed?

Go to solution

The clue is in the name , FTTP , fibre to the premises, your FTTC had a copper pair from the pole to the house , the fibre was to the cabinet ( copper from the cabinet to the house )

If joining BT with FTTP , that redundant copper line remains redundant , a new fibre dropwire provided from the CBT ( a fibre block on the pole ) to your house , chances are the old copper dropwire will be taken down at the time the fibre one is put up, 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

This is the CSP.

IMG_5498.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

This is the ONT

IMG_5497.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate it

0 Ratings