cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

FTTP modem installed in wrong location

Yesterday we switched broadband providers and the engineer came to install FTTP (on a side note, I didn't actually realise I was switching from FTTC to FTTP so didn't plan in terms of deciding location!)

My partner was at home during the installation and let me know the engineer was doing the install in our dining room. We are mid terraced a and our dining room is at the ground floor front of the house but our living room is on the first floor at the back of the house.

This wouldn't have been too much of issue but when I got home the engineer had installed the modem at the closest point to the outside and it's too far away from the closest plug socket, meaning we now have a huge extension lead set up to power the broadband/modem. 

Firstly do I have any chance of getting the engineers back to move this and secondly, do you think they would move it to the living room despite it being so far away from the 'source' point.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTP modem installed in wrong location

@cw2345 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

It would be an Openreach Field Technician who fitted that, not a BT Engineer who stay in offices designing networks.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Can be difficult to judge , objectively, the Openreach installer or contractor explained that the ONT needs a power supply, and the extension lead was provided by your partner, so really the location was agreed with them , so OR could argue that if it wasn’t a suitable location why did you agree, but there have been instances where , similar ‘complaints’ raised , have had the response from the forum as , ‘well if you didn’t want it there , why did you say it was OK , only to change your mind later, so moving it will be chargeable’ , then the poster comes back and says ‘ actually I got it moved for free’ ,

There is nothing stopping you asking if it can be moved , there is no guarantee it will be done for ‘free’ , but it’s possible

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

if existing ONT is installed at front of your home and you are mid terrace how would the installer get ONT moved to first floor at back of house.  I don't think they run the cables over your roof

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

This was installed by a contractor. My understanding was he didn't explain it needed a power supply and just used an extension lead which was in the room already (we were using it temporarily for a different reason and not got around to putting it away). My partner does have anxiety and struggles with these situations + was working so I think he just left him to it and this was the result!

Hindsight is a great thing and if I'd realised I was being switched to FTTP I definitely would have stayed home to sort it! Thanks for your response, will see if I get anywhere trying to get it moved 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Sounds very much like you didn't read any confirmation as it would've been clear form those it was full fibre too. Good luck with trying to get it sorted though

0 Ratings