cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

FTTP - temporary loss of service, now slow speeds.

I'm not sure if this is just a faulty Hub. 

I have a coupe of queries here, can I please get some troubleshooting tips I can try before I need to escalate this. This is the first time I have had a problem since the FTTP upgrade, so I wasn't sure if there is specific troubleshooting steps?

I'm not sure if I should just hit the power button on the Smart Hub 2, do I also need to turn the plug off on the ONT box too? As I say, I am not sure what to do as this is the first time we have had an issue with FTTP.

I thought I should ask on here as I wouldn't want to do anything that might further make issues worse.

The problem -
Wednesday night the Internet went down, BT Smart Hub 2 displayed a number of different lights for upto 30 mins - before it finally reconnected.

I thought all was since fine but I am downloading games on my Xbox Series X and the Xbox is wildly fluctuating between 20-50Mbps, sometimes stopping entirely.

My Xbox is wired with CAT6 cable and using the Edge browser on console, checking the Fast.com website used to frequently show 930Mb-1Gb. It's been showing results are 400-450Mb today, and just now it's gone back to 960Mb, which is normal.

These tests vary wildly and are not consistent with active real world downloads avg. 20-50Mbps.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: FTTP - temporary loss of service, now slow speeds.

Its entirely possible some sort of emergency maintenance was carried out, it probably would have been more interesting to see what the ONT was doing at that time, where the PON light went out or flashed etc...

Anyway, generally there is no harm powering off the ONT and powering it back on, sometimes it clears things, or at least people state it has.

Power off the ONT and the hub, power the ONT back on and wait for a solid PON light, then power on the hub and wait for the solid purple light. Potentially this could resolve something. 

Speed tests are speed tests sites can fluctuate and might not be reliable 'real world' because they are there just to test outright speed, they wont reflect if the X Box servers are having a lowsy day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 3 of 3

Re: FTTP - temporary loss of service, now slow speeds.

IMG_6169.png

Thanks for the reply. It's still been a bit hit and miss.

I've just tried the MyBT mobile app speedtest to the hub and this is below the speed guarantee.

I'm just going to try turning the plugs off now and will report back in a day or two to see if things have returned to normal.

0 Ratings