cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Failed install over 6 weeks ago

Hey folks,

Help!  I have an ongoing, hilarious failed install.

It was a simple BT ADSL swap to BT Fibre 900, but it has gone wrong.

The ONT was installed fine, it has three steady green lights, and appears to work.

The SmartHub2  does not.  It is solid orange.  On the admin interface, it shows status "NO SERVICE".  In the debug logs, it shows "PPP: Sending PADI" constantly.

It has never worked.

Since install, at the very beginning of August, I've had two Qube engineers and two Openreach engineers - both blame the other side.  The ONT has been swapped, and the SmartHub 2 swapped twice.

The latest engineer to arrive claimed the BT account needed closing (?!) and then reopening after 30 days.

I tried emailing the CEO email address twice, but nobody responded.  It has been open as a complaint all this time.

Essentially nobody knows what to do.  Does anybody know anybody at BT or Openreach who could please try to troubleshoot?

I'm at the point where I think I need to try to fully exit the contract as I'm paying for no service at all.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Failed install over 6 weeks ago

If you have an Orange light on the hub with a steady green pon light on the ONT, the problem lies squarely with BT. The service has not been activated correctly.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

The problem is BT don't agree - on the phone and with engineers, they say it is activated fine.  So they just send Openreach... who say the problem lays with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Call again and have the serial number of the ONT to hand. Whatever they say, the problem is the service hasn't been activated correctly. The PPPoE session is not authenticating.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I've tried that many times XD

The even had Openreach swap the ONT, and the serial number matches again.

The latest idea from BT is I need to close the account and open a new one, but... like...  surely somebody at BT knows how to deal with this one?  Somewhere?  Anywhere?  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

When one of the Openreach Engineers visited I assume they contacted their DCoE Helpdesk.

When they did do you know if the DCoE did a test to Emulate a PPPoE Session on the Head End?

If they did and it was successful 100% the issue will be at BT’s end.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

I don’t know what tests they did, but last time they visited they claimed it wasn’t their end. I did see the PON light flashing while they visited, while they were on the phone doing tests. It’s been consistently on since they left (several weeks ago). 

I’m just going around and around in circles now.

BT basically told me to disconnect and rebook as a new customer (takes up to 30 days apparently) which seems.. insane. They claim everything is fully activated their end (but they too cannot see the Smarthub). 

The problem for me customer wise is every time I phone up or get an engineer, they spend at max about 15 mins on it before moving to the next job. So they just book Openreach, a new Smarthub etc and leave. I’m on first name terms with the Openreach guy and have a graveyard of Smarthubs now. All I wanted was broadband. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

When they Emulate a PPPoE Session the Hub will turn Blue.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

It did indeed turn blue. 

Unfortunately, BT won’t take any ownership of it. Unless we know somebody here who works for BT. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

OK, sounds to be like they have done the Remote Emulation Test on the Head End.

That pretty much proves 100% the fault is at BT’s end and anymore Openreach Engineer visits will be a waste of both yours, and their time. 

0 Ratings