cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Fallback internet access via BT's mini hub

Go to solution

I was sent a BT mini hub, to provide my home with internet access as my BT FTTP service was delayed by about 3 weeks and my Plusnet service was terminated on the original changeover date. BT upgraded my original Full Fibre 100 service a couple of days after the new service went live to their Full Fibre 500 service + Halo 3 at no extra cost. Since I already possess a mini hub, I was told that as a Halo customer I could hang on to it, rather than having to send it back and then having to be sent another one if my broadband went down. My understanding is that if that were to happen, BT would reactivate the data allowance on mini hub and it would communicate with the Smart Hub 2 automatically so that all the devices on my home network would continue to work normally without my having to do anything. My question really is this; is the communication that the mini hub established with the Smart Hub 2 only possible with that device or would it also be possible to get it to communicate with a third-party router in such circumstances? I presume the answer is no and that the only option in that situation would be to use it as I did while I was waiting for BT to install the Full Fibre service. That was OK, as the mini hub is in my view, a remarkable little device, but since my Synology NAS is wired to my ASUS router, I had to keep swapping between the mini hub and ASUS device, depending on what I wanted to do at the time.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fallback internet access via BT's mini hub

Go to solution

It will only work with the Smart Hub2.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

The 4G mifi devices sent are typically single use only unless you were a Halo customer when it was sent.

The Hybrid device is a different piece of kit and connects to the Smart Hub 2, that is included with Halo 3+ packages or as a monthly addon for £7 per month.

If you have Halo 3 without the +, you would get a 4G mifi and not the Hybrid.

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Actually I've just re-checked and I'm a Halo customer without the "+". I don't think I was a Halo customer at all when the mini hub was sent a few weeks ago.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@SixtiesFanwrote:

Actually I've just re-checked and I'm a Halo customer without the "+". I don't think I was a Halo customer at all when the mini hub was sent a few weeks ago.

BT periodcally give existing customers freebies, in the past it's been speed boosts, extra cloud storage but over the last 18 months many have been giving free Halo upgrades, it's a no strings freebie.

You have whatever you had previously plus :

• Double data on any BT mobile plans
  • No out of contract increase
  • Keep connected promise
  • Speeds increased from upto 55mpbs down to up to 80mbps down, upload increase from upto 10mbps to upto 20mbps (If your line supports it)
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Yes, that's what I thought. My connection has been upgraded (with no price increase) from my original Full Fibre 100, which I had for a couple of days, to Full Fibre 500 + Halo, so I'm well pleased with what I have got now.

0 Ratings