cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 23

Re: Fiber to premises available in my area but not at my address

@imjollywrote:

Openearch is part of BT GROUP but is entirely different company to BT RETAIL so posting here is not going to effect openreach.  I suppose you could post on EE forum as they are also part of BT GROUP

..... and Plusnet who are also part of the BT GROUP and also have their own forum! 😎

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 23

TBH, you have already had an explanation from OR, your property cannot be served from the nearest CBT. You haven’t answered if your current copper service is delivered overhead or underground, assuming it’s underground, the closest joint box with a CBT ( and assuming a spare port  on that CBT, the network is ‘sized’ for the location, if the CBT was designed to service 8 houses , an 8 port CBT may exist, so there may already be no spare port available, ).

Its also possible that the box the CBT is in,  isn’t linked to the box closest to your home, and your home , even if underground service , may be a DIG cable ( direct in ground ) so to get fibre to your home may need duct work to connect the CBT box to your box, then duct from that box to your home, and more network construction ( the CBT that exists is too far away to be any good to you anyway ) so possibly a new box required to house a new CBT , this as you may suspect could well cost many thousands of ££’s, and if you are the ‘only’ resident bothered, then that type of expense won’t be entertained for one customer.
If, ( for example ) the CFP network cost was £10,000, it’s probably too much for one person to consider, but if you had 19 like minded individuals , they ‘may’ consider £500 each to get better broadband, if not you really have no choice but to wait until the area is naturally covered ,or the government effectively steps in with the £10,000 via some sort of subsidy in the near future.
The ‘route’ you assume the fibre runs, even if accurate , is irrelevant, if a fibre cable runs straight through a box , and that box is close to you, it’s no help, as a poor analogy , if you could see a motorway 200m from your garden but the closest slip road onto that motorway was 10Km away, then to get onto the motorway that 200m is irrelevant, you need to drive the 10K, just because a cable runs through a box doesn’t mean access to those fibres is available...to give service it’s a CBT required close enough to you, not a cable.

Message 23 of 23

@iniltouswrote:

The ‘route’ you assume the fibre runs, even if accurate , is irrelevant, if a fibre cable runs straight through a box , and that box is close to you, it’s no help, as a poor analogy , if you could see a motorway 200m from your garden but the closest slip road onto that motorway was 10Km away, then to get onto the motorway that 200m is irrelevant, you need to drive the 10K, just because a cable runs through a box doesn’t mean access to those fibres is available...to give service it’s a CBT required close enough to you, not a cable.

Every house which the fiber optic cable passes had a 'joint box' next to it, even the people who can't order.

Almost every house in my area is cica 100 meters apart.

Every house near me who can order fiber must have a CBT in it as they can order.

The people who can order have a 'joint box' the same distance as people who can't order.

In my area I think there is confusion about the exact boundary where about funding of where they should install a CBT, but thankfully it should get sorted out in the near future but we are still trying. 

The people who can't order must not have a CBT installed in their joint box yet.

Sorry if some people thought this was the wrong place for the question because this is a retail BT forum, but people have been very helpful and my original question was that there might be some discrepancy between the Retail Bt and Openreach databases.  

0 Ratings