cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 39

Fibre 1 vs Fibre 2 - confused about advise from BT

Go to solution

I am on Fibre 1 and get download speeds of around 49 and uploads of around 8.

Renewed contract yesterday and was advised not to upgrade to Fibre 2 - they said that I would not get any faster download speed than I currently have at my address.

Went over to neighbours property yesterday evening (he is with vodaphone) and showed me upload speeds of 19 and download speeds of of up to 59 if connected with ethernet cable - speed was just under 50 through wifi.

Can someone please interpret the Broadband Availability Checker that I ran last night on my phone number.

Do I have correct advise from BT, should I stay in Fibre 1 or can I get faster speeds with Fibre 2?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 14.43.18.png

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39

Re: Fibre 1 vs Fibre 2 - confused about advise from BT

Go to solution

from the checker you currently have a connection speed 60mb down and 13mb up suggesting you are on fibre 2 already but that was back in october 2022

can you post hub stats - hub manager/advanced settings/technical log/information   this will show your current connection speed and attainable speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 39

Go to solution

Hi, how do I access hub manager? I'm on a MacBook.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 39

Go to solution
I am still on Fibre 1
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 39

Go to solution

OK, I found it, please see screen shot attached.

Hub_manager.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 39

Go to solution

you stats show you have max speed for fibre 1  55/10mb  the dslchecker still shows higher figure last year so have you renewed contract since last year

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 39

Go to solution

I don't know why the dslchecker is showing higher speeds for last year?

I've been on Fibre1 for quite a long time and out of contract for along time.

I did speed tests prior to renewing and there is no difference in speed before or after.

I renewed contract yesterday  as prices were getting very toppy - the difference in price between Fibre1 and Fibre2 was £1 a month - they advised me to stay on Fibre1 saying I would not get anymore speed. I did query this several times.

I'm not that near to the exchange so I appreciate I'm not going to get great speeds and no one currently offers full fibre here.

contract is 24 months and competitively priced - I'm still in 14 day cooling off.

I'm a little out of depth here as this is not something I have any experience in.

Am I right in thinking if I went with another supplier I'd get the same speeds/speed limits?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 39

Go to solution

@Hamble_River

Your uptime is very short! Have you been regularly powering off/on your SmartHub? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 39

Go to solution

if out of contract for a while is it possible maybe few years ago you got a free upgrade to fibre 2 speed but stayed on fibre 1 contract.  however when you renewed to fibre 1 you lost the free upgrade hence why you are on max speed for fibre 1

are you connected to the master socket?

you should get same speed switching to another ISP who uses the openreach network

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 39

Go to solution

Yes, I am powered to the master socket.

The advice they have given doesn't appear to be correct although I can see there is not much in it.

So… should I go back to BT and request Fibre 2?

0 Ratings