cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 39

Re: Fibre 1 vs Fibre 2 - confused about advise from BT

Go to solution

the dslchecker suggests you should get a better connection which would need fibre 2 but your hub stats show max attainable is only 61mb and you have 55mb just now and 'upgrading' to fibre 2 might get you another 2/3mb.

can you check your phone line providing you are not on digital voice by dialing 17070 option 2  should be silent no hiss or crackle

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 39

Go to solution
tested the phone line using 17070 / option 2 - I wouldn't say the line is completely silent, there's a bit of feint white noise and the occasional beep
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 39

Go to solution

if you used a cordless phone then dull hum normal but beeps are not.  have you checked to see if you have any message on 1571

your hub connection time is very short was that a manual reset or hub dropping connection?  does hub drop connection often?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 39

Go to solution
I don't have a call answering service on this line.
I switched off the hub this morning and restarted, I wanted to test a router someone had leant me so had to shut down the BT hub. The hub doesn't drop connection very often.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 39

Go to solution
it's a cordless phone.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 39

Go to solution

Do you not have 1571 or have you disabled it?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 39

Go to solution
I don't have 1571 as I have a physical answering machine that I don't really use. I'm getting rid of the landline.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 39

Go to solution

Just following this up as I'm not sure what conclusions I should be drawing.

I ran a speed test this morning and got 50.18 DL and 8.51 UL.

With an ethernet cable I'm sure I'd be very close to the 55 cap.

Still, I'm baffled why BT CS have stated I would not get anymore speed when it appears this is not the case.

Maybe they feel the gains are so marginal that they don't want to recommend the upgrade or is there something else I'm missing here?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 39

Go to solution

@Hamble_River 

from your stats you posted I think that is the case that the increase in speed would be 2/3 mb and not worth the upgrade to fibre 2.  better just wait until full fibre is available

Message 20 of 39

Go to solution

Thank you for your time and help, this has been educational!

FTTP is not available.
The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

It appears I could be waiting sometime for full fibre.

0 Ratings