cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Fibre 2 capped at 40/10

I moved house a few months ago and brought my Fibre 2 contract with me, which at my old address gave me around 60mb down. I was expecting that the speed would not necessarily be the same but after having a line fault fixed an Openreach engineer told me that I'm set up on a 40/10 limit, which I believe is the basic BT Fibre Essential package. In reality I'm getting around 35mb.

I've checked the broadband checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com and I think it's saying that my line could support up to 57mb. Strangely it says "There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line " for my landline, but I get results if I use my address instead.

I'm a bit confused why I'm effectively getting the 40/10 cheaper broadband speed, but paying the higher price. When I look on bt.com I can only see Fibre Essentials and Fibre 1 available for my address, but weirdly at the same estimated download speed. This with the above suggests to me that something is misconfigured somewhere.

The Openreach engineer said this was BT's problem and I've potentially been set up incorrectly, but I don't really know where to go to raise this. Ideally I'd like to have faster internet, but if there's a genuine reason why I can't then I'd hope that I could pay the correct lower rate for my service.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Fibre 2 capped at 40/10

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal  this will not work with digital voice

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

If you are only getting 35M it doesn't matter what package you have, the speed is lower than any artificial cap. If that is the maximum your line will support, you need to downgrade your package.

The information requested by @imjolly  will shed more light.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Here is my technical log. The uptime is low because I've just had the Openreach engineer here this morning. He seemed to suggest that any decrease from 40mb was due to distance as I am around 600m from the cabinet. On his device it said I was provisioned for 40/10.

donnoak_0-1671797325964.png

As I said my phone number does not work on that website. I get the following message:

donnoak_1-1671797397846.png

My connection was set up well over 24 hours ago (about 3 months) and my landline phone can do calls fine with that number.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Doesn't matter what your line is provisioned for, unfortunately you are getting the best speed your line is capable of achieving.

What does the DSL checker show?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Once again, the DSL checker does not work with my landline phone number.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Use the address function

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

donnoak_0-1671798971508.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

are you on Digital voice as dslchecker does not work if you have DV

which exchange and cab are you on?

your estimated range is 57/40 with handback at 35mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

That explains why it wasn't working - yes I believe I'm on digital voice.

March exchange, cabinet 5.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings