cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Fibre 900... Is it a con or we being conned.?

Hi been on this community for a while now getting free help from all the amazing people on here thought I better sign up and start giving back on the knowledge I have received from here
NOW before you all jump up and down, I know that’s a strong title but stick me me to the end please and free free to help me of I’m doing something wrong sorry in advance for the way this is written. I’m. Dyslexic so I apologise in advance..
OK from the start
I have been upgraded to a new 150 fibre FTTP connection and now using a halo router as part of a free upgrade as bt was expanding into my area . Being a man 150 was never enough so I upgraded to a 900 connection just because I can and starting to build my smart home and more bandwidth can never hurt right?
Right when I was on the 150 I was getting 145 down/55up... Ok cool on every device in the house..
After the upgrade to 900 a few weeks ago I have never seen the 900 connection not once and I mean ever or anything close to it!
I have phoned bt a number of times they are convinced I’m on the 900meg connection
I can see it on my nighthawk on the app speedtest it’s showing 900/109 but doing a direct speedtest on my pc ( new custom build with a gig board and card) it’s half that!! At the pc but the netgear still remains convinced it can see a 900 down
I phoned bt yet again and asked what’s going on they gave me chat that there is a issue with the bt halo and it’s not showing the current status and speed correctly and a hotfix will be put out late October this year.. Im still not having that!
I used this community to find a login of you remove the halo so today I removed the halo and used the homehub@btbroadband.com and pass bt and after getting my xr500 to do a connection recheck it picked up the pppoe connection FAB!!
Speed test and fu*+!! Only 40 more up and 6 down more was the halo only bottlenecking that little?
What am I doing wrong? I have :-
Cat 6e cable everywhere even from fibre wall connection to my router.
Qos turned off at netgear side.
Removed halo and now pppoe connection right to nighthawk.
I’m only hitting 550/630 down and a very stable 109 up
I’M AWARE that each device has its ceiling and will stop when it’s reaches its technology limit
I have been thorough every thread on here and I see the same thing

Fast.com is showing 250down and 90 up

Speed test is showing 550/630 and 109up

Both on cable machine

Wifi is even less
Remember that thread title... Are we being conned out of more money for fastest fibre when in fact we are never on 900 anyway?.. Stick with me
While on the phone to bt a woman said something that woke me up to the statement
The woman said “ currently we have the fastest fiber in the UK but all the speed readers have issues reading the full speed “ ok now think about that statement! Give the customer a platinum service at a high price on paper with nothing to back it up... With me?? What of they are giving us a 500 Meg service for a 900 Meg prices,!

OK go let’s chat about this...

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Fibre 900... Is it a con or we being conned.?

Yet another post with this problem, I do feel for you. 😞

Still hundreds of users getting the full 910 ~ 110 speed within their package without issue.

Recently I was on the lines a third party (quality) router was eliminating the speed issues but as you have the Netgear xr500 (which has had previous problems) if you have read all the posts through I would be tempted to try yet another router if you could borrow one from a friend.

You don't mention anything about setting up a PPPoE connection and taking the router out of the equation just for test purposes. Possibly try that.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 3 of 11

The only thing that's relevant when checking speeds is your sync speed. If that's registering correctly, that what's your sync'd at. Another other speed differences can't be guaranteed unfortunately

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Yep sorry done both.. Let me explain

1x wired pc to halo only

Swap out to the netgear and same thing 1x wired to the router

Same issue

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@D3ADLYSN1P3R 

There is no Halo router it just a bt hub probably SH1 or SH2. Halo is an add on benefit to your broadband package

https://www.bt.com/help/bt-halo/learn-about-bt-halo/what-is-bt-halo-and-how-can-i-get-it-

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@D3ADLYSN1P3R 

1x wired pc to halo only
Swap out to the netgear and same thing 1x wired to the router

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Creating a PPPoE connection direct from the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) or the FTTP modem in simple terms to you're PC / Laptop has nothing to do with Halo or any router.

CAT5e or higher direct from the ONT to you're device involves.

Step 1 Press “Windows key +X”, and click on “control panel”;
Step 2 Then go to Network and Internet->View network status and tasks page.
Step 3 Click on Set up a new connection or network.
Step 4 Select Connect to the Internet and click Next button.
Step 5 Click on Broadband (PPPoE).

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

What's that got to do with speed coming down? Nothing at all can we stick to the topic
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

You came here looking for help and you got it but decided what we suggested is off topic.

You got help from @NigelB72  @imjolly and myself and it seems you know better than us.

I'm out of here.😬

Message 9 of 11

@D3ADLYSN1P3R wrote:
What's that got to do with speed coming down? Nothing at all can we stick to the topic

Oh dear.

It has everything to do with the speed coming down and is entirely on topic.

Message 10 of 11

Nope not on topic at all, less then helping chatting out setting up a pc.. Did I ask about that? No

It seams you are one no grasping the issues I here router, netgear and bt side not my pc

I suggest you read the first post again and help the community with a answer if you know and let's get this thread moving forward and get it solved
0 Ratings