cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Fibre 900 - download speed only 250

@Silasophie 

If you want to maximize your 910 / 110Mbps package then yes get a router that WILL work and supply your needs.

@OneManTagTeam  Was getting this this speed over WiFi 6 with an Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max and an Asus AX86U router.

Why have the highest tier and not get the best out of it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 12 of 17

I guess that's the issue though. A lot of people don't want to have to spend more money on a 3rd party router and have the latest wireless devices that support WiFi 6.

For most people, I don't think they understand that current (none-WiFi 6) technology won't support the higher speeds.

My main PC is a desktop and so I connect directly via ethernet. My iPhone XS never manages more than 350Mbps, but that's fine as I need faster download speeds when working on my main PC.
Message 13 of 17

Thanks, I want to taste the fast speed and not really intended to downgrade back to 500 or 300 fibre. So I am actively looking for a router. Thanks for the advice.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

Thanks. And probably a final update here.

Openreach engineer visited as scheduled by BT. So I realize that Openreach is wholly owned subsidiary of BT so under the same umbrella. BT is service provider while Openreach more on the network side.

The engineer changed the name of the router such that all other devices were disconnected (also unplug all ethernet cables for wired connection). So based on the fast.com speed test based on the engineer single access reading. Wifi was bad in his device of 86Mbps, and wired connection of 1gb Mpbs. So it proved the hub did have the full speed from ONT, however issue in wifi. 

Both of us did test based on our mobiles though, and both mobile phones connect wifi could achieve 200Mpbs.

After he left, the BT new hub2 delivered. I replaced with this new hub2. Without reconnecting to the BT wifi discs, etc, the new hub2 was even worse with only 86Mpbs from my mobile.  I didn't bother to get the new hub2 settled for a few hours or so. As it is pretty sure hub2 could not get the wifi speed that matched with 900 fibre plan.

Options are clear:

1. downgrade the plan if I don't need that fast, and/or don't want to invest my own for a new router to enhance the wifi

2. keep the plan as fibre900, but I ought to find myself a good wifi router

3. keep the plan as fibre 900, keep using BT equipment only. I still get 900Mpbs for wired connected to my PC and TV box. But I won't be able to get anywhere wifi max of 200Mbps - 250Mbps based on my real experience.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

@Silasophie 

3. keep the plan as fibre 900, keep using BT equipment only. I still get 900Mpbs for wired connected to my PC and TV box. But I won't be able to get anywhere wifi max of 200Mbps - 250Mbps based on my real experience.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

You have answered your own question really.

900Mbps via a wired connection proves there is nothing wrong with the feed to your premises.

As being said many times before how bad do you want the higher tier, the supplied router is not up to the job without constant updates / work behind the scenes.

Probably not want you want to hear but to me it's a no brainer, get a third party  WiFi 6 router and forget your problems and enjoy the product you are paying for.

It's been proved it works via this method, the decision is up to you. 🙂

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 16 of 17

Another update here. I have bought Asus ax88u dual band router. And tried the following lazy setup:

1. Connect the Asus router to BT hub

1.1 connect by cable from Asus router to my PC

Result: speed was halved to 450MB. If connect to BT hub directly, it was 900Mb or even 1Gb sometimes.

2. Tried to combine or not combine 2.4 and 5gHz, Result: the WiFi output of 60MB. If connect back to BT hub WiFi, it was 230MB.

I did try to figure out how to improve the WiFi output but in vain. 

Given the above, with my new but mid range mobile phone without WiFi or whatsoever, I got to be happy with my hub 2 and WiFi discs WiFi setup. 

As I could not get this WiFi signal up by Asus ax88U.

Nonetheless, my BT TV box, TV and PC disc which are connected by cable enjoyed the 900 fibre mostly. 

And I won't downgrade to 500 as the wired or WiFi speed would be lower. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

@Silasophie 

Another update here. I have bought Asus ax88u dual band router. And tried the following lazy setup:

1. Connect the Asus router to BT hub

______________________________________________________________________________________

You need to take the BT Hub out of the equation altogether and try again, it is not needed if you are using the Asus AX router.

Connect your Asus Router direct to the ONT that is fastened to your wall. 

Try these settings as posted by jedpause earlier, they work perfect.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

0 Ratings