cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Fibre Broadband under paving slabs

So been informed need to upgrade to fibre broadband to continue to use my phone. 
openreach have brought fibre cable to my door and left draw rope. But it’s on the wrong side of my door as no electric sockets available. Need cable to come up the right side of my door to drill access to my garage with nearest free power socket. However would need to run under some paving slabs. I am guess openreach wont sort this so have to do myself. Any idea what ducting I can use ?diameter so I can lift the slabs and place the ducting ready for their arrival. Anybody done this and know spec I have to meet for them? Wife not happy with me running new power sockets in her hall or ONT sitting in her hall! So garage only option. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fibre Broadband under paving slabs

The fibre is very small, but you probably dont need me to tell you that, I would be using solid wall ducting, you dont want any pressure on the fibre cable, 20mm internal diameter would probably be fine.

On the other hand are Openreach going to be cool with that, did you discuss if they will come back and pass through your ducting? I only say that because everything outside the property is their problem so they may not be happy to sign off on their fibre in your ducting.

They will need to install an exterior box onto your wall as a splicing point and then the fibre will pass through your wall into the ONT inside, you mean to say you're going to have the router in the garage as well?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

so at the moment not had any contact with Openreach. Just letter telling me if I want to keep phone line need to upgrade. No phone number to discuss just electronic booking link. Been informed by others that Openreach won’t do anything but secure to wall. My issue is this will be messy. Been suggested that if I want a cleaner install I will need to ensure ducting is in place as engineers aren’t flexible. 

But fair comment I don’t have any sign off that it’s acceptable to Openreach. 

plan was to drill through to garage and then put both the ONT and broadband router in integrated garage and Wi-Fi all the technology. 

in a rock and hard place - wife wants no boxes on wall in hall and all other sockets free at rear of the house. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Shouldn't really be a problem. Anything that makes the install easier for the engineer to complete the work is usually welcome. So, in respect to that engineers are flexable.

Make sure you put a draw string in the duct.

If you've done all the drilling (6mm hole), ducting etc there is no engineer who will not do it even a contractor IMHO!

An Openreach installer is always willing to discuss siting of the ONT, contractors less so as the get paid per job and just want to get in and get out. If you've prepped it and made it easy I cannot see them complaining.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thanks good to know 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Openreach prefer to use Gabacom Duct, although you’ll struggle to buy that by the metre as it’ll usually only be sold on large drums.

Your best best is buying Openreach Approved Duct56 as that can easily be bought in small lengths and you can also get connector bends for it as well.

0 Ratings