cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Broadband Upgrades

On Friday, I was upgraded to Digital Voice, and had the Openreach modem installed.  My Smarthub was working and all lights were green on the Openeeach Modem, and I could use the internet.  I then requested an upgrade to Full Fibre 900.  Since this was activated the PON light on my Openeeach modem has gone red, and o have no internet connection.  If I turn everything off and back on again, all lights are green, until I attempt to connect to the internet, at which time the PON light goes red.  Is there anything else I need to do - I did receive a cable through the post this morning, which said I should give to the engineer, but I don’t have one booked out.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Broadband Upgrades

@Si1 

I would expect that the upgrade is still in progress. What date was given for completion?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Something clearly wrong, if you had FTTP already ( so the ONT was already fitted and working  ) changing the speed to 900Mb is simply an administrative job for the ISP  ( strokes on keyboards ) , the PON light going red signifies a loss of signal which is a physical problem on the optical path , nothing to do with your ISP but Openreach , the two are not  linked so if the PON light goes red , it’s got nothing to do with the ISP , but coincidental that you happen to have changed your FTTP speed.

If your PON light is normally steady green ( the correct status for a working connection ) but turns red when you try and use the router makes no sense ….you could check the optical cable is seated correctly in the ONT and power cycle the ONT , the other thing you seem to conflate lots of things , you say converted to DV , and had the modem ( presumably you mean the ONT ) installed and asked for a speed change , converting to DV and upgrading to FTTP are not the same thing , so when was FTTP fitted ? has it ever worked successfully for any period of time , are you upgrading the speed immediately after getting FTTP installed ? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi Kieth,

it said 4th June.  I haven’t had an email yet to say that the new service has been activated though.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Possibly something has gone wrong, but @iniltous  has more knowledge in this area.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@iniltous My FTTP was activated on Friday 31 May after installation of the Openreach modem the previous day.  All was working from 31 May, but hasn’t been since the upgrade commenced.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

If the service was only installed Thursday and ‘switched on’ on Friday , 4 -5 days ago , it’s almost certainly an Openreach fault and nothing to do with your upgrade of speed ( why upgrade the speed before you had used the originally ordered speed to any extent, but that’s your choice )
Most FTTP ‘failure’s that happen ( and it’s pretty rare) happen quite soon after installation, if a poor ‘splice’ were made ( for example ) on your installation at the CSP , the result can be a high loss that can cause the ONT to indicate a LOS , it’s not necessarily a total loss of signal , just the optical power becomes insufficient , and it can cause the symptoms you are experiencing, the service working intermittently, but has nothing to do with your change of speed profile.
The other strange thing is the date , if you were given the date of 4th June but had a visit 31 May , unless the installation was two stage and 31st May visit the tech did more work than necessary in that the fitted everything, but even if they did , presumably no one turned up on the 4th ( yesterday )

TBH , it all a little moot , you need to report the service not working , it’s effectively an ELF ( early life failure ) a tech should revisit and will probably resplice the fibre at the CSP and check at the CBT

0 Ratings