Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 5

Fibre Issues

Hi all, 

Hoping for some advice.. 

For about a month my FTTP900 is been pretty shoddy, jumping from 938Mbps (which was the average speed) dropping below 500Mbps when my Stay Fast guarantee is 700Mbps.

BT's bot has repeatedly 'run checks' on my connection and cannot find an issue so after getting annoyed on Sunday I called up and was told essentially because I am not using BTs Smart Hub they can't help as they can't see what is going on with the connection. Same issue today, was trying to watch something on iPlayer and it kept dying and dropping out, ran a speed test and was getting less than 500Mbps, a few minutes later it's up at 800 and then down to 400Mbps.

I dragged the sub-standard BT Smart Hub and whole home out of a drawer and replugged everything in and called support. They were running tests and said they couldn't see any issues, then fortunately the issue re-occurred and he could see the connection dropped, came back up and 487Mbp and then went up to the 800's and back down again. 

The agent I was speaking with was really helpful but didn't really know what to do so went off to speak to his manager, came back and said he would book an engineer, when I enquired if it would be a Qube person or an OR engineer I was advised it would be Qube which set off alarms for me. 

My experience with Qube is that they're not really technically trained, can check the WiFi setup, change the channel and positioning but not much else (all of which I am more than capable of doing myself). The agent I was dealing with told me it doesn't matter that I am not using their router as he could see it's happening when the BT Smart Hub is plugged in and the Qube engineer 'can work around that' which I am skeptical of.

I'm pretty sure Qube guy is going to turn up look at the setup and say it's fine, run a speed test see it's working in that moment and then pootle off down the road thinking they have done a good job (as is my last experience of them). I think them turning up on Saturday to 'run checks' is going to be a complete waste of my and their time.

I work from home full time and I can't let this drag on for the next 4 weeks while they keep sending Qube people out and claiming there's no issue when there clearly is! 

Any suggestions on what I can do next?

Thanks, Garet.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Fibre Issues

are you using powerline adapters as they are known to cause problems?

have you changed your ethernet cable from ONT to router

what else have you tried?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 5

Morning,

Not using a power line adaptor, WiFi signal strength is pretty good across the house.

Have changed the Ethernet cable already just in case. 

Switched back to the BT hub and have tested it via Ethernet and the same thing is happening.  

Done the usual switched it off and back on but not really sure what else there is to do from my side! 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Probably just contention. You are sharing a 2.5Gbps backhaul link with up to 29 other customers.

If you want an uncontested service, you need a business line.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5

That doesn’t really explain why the connection keeps dropping and then reconnecting.

If it was just because of the load then it’d slow right down but carry on working it’s also not at peak times. It’s sporadic.

I doubt there’s so many people downloading at 1am on Sunday night to make the connection so poor it’s unusable.

0 Ratings