cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Fibre Woes.

I had full fibre installed Monday. Finding out how digital voice works was a massive negative and a backward step in my opinion. I chose to use my old BT guardian phones instead of the digital voice ones.

Yesterday I got up and my hub has a solid purple light. I have the EE hybrid which ensures I have an internet connection. Just checked my speed, download speed 0.6 Mbps, upload 0.5mbps. So basically it's **bleep**. I have the EE box connected to the hub using an ethernet connection but it's not in an ideal spot. I have tried to move it to various places around the house using its wifi but I can not get a signal. 

The main problem is that my wife is a mobile hairdresser and the phone line is down, so she is not receiving any calls for appointments. She does not give her mobile number out to customers. I take it the digital phone would not work also?

They are sending me a mini-hub today but I would have thought that it would be the same as the EE hybrid thing?

I have looked at call divert but from what I can see I need my phone to work to activate it, is this correct?

I have an engineer coming on Monday to look at the hub problem.

I am seriously considering using the 14 days change my mind option and cancelling my deal. I am paying over 70 quid hoping for a reliable and fast internet service and I feel like I am worse off than when I was paying 40 quid. I was not aware of how the phones work and in power cuts you would have no phone at the time I ordered it.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fibre Woes.

I would have hoped that BT could implement the call divert remotely for you, but no idea if they can with DV? Worth asking the question.

Going forward, I'd look at a dual SIM phone for your missus with a PAYG number she can give out to clients. Assuming you have decent coverage at home.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Yes, BT.can implement call diversion remotely. If you have a line problem it would be the same whichever provider you were using so no point changing providers.

What colour are the lights on the ONT?

Message 4 of 12

Are the lights green on the ONT? If so it might be worth trying to source another SH2 from Facebook Marketplace or similar just in case yours has died.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

The lights are ok. The 3 lights are green and one on the right is flickering.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

I chatted to BT and they are going to divert the calls to the wife's mobile.

Am I right in thinking that the BT mini-hub does the same thing as the EE hybrid that I have got? I did not ask for the mini-hub I just got an e-mail saying that it is coming and that I have to send it back afterwards. I want to go out with the weather being nice so I don't want to wait at home all day for it. If it does the same thing and I am not home then hopefully they will not leave it. It will save me the hassle of sending it back.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Good news on the diversion at least.

Both devices are reliant on EE 4G coverage, so if your address is lacking then neither will help much. You can have a look at the EE coverage checker on their web site but they're only predictions. I think I've seen mention that the main EE hub has aerial sockets, so might be worth pressing BT to supply some to try to improve reception. Otherwise you're paying extra for a service you can't receive.

No idea who BT use to deliver the Mini device U if you're out, it may just be posted through the door as it's only small. I certainly wouldn't wait in for it. I suppose there's an outside chance that the main EE hub is faulty so no harm in trying the Mini. Would a neighbour take it if you leave a note on the door?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

I'd also suggest you should be on a business account if the phone number is that important to your wifes business. Proper sla's for faults etc

Message 9 of 12

@pirots and @rbz5416 

The BT mini-hub, as the name suggests, is indeed a mini version of the hub and can be posted through any normal letter box. I would therefore enjoy the good weather while you can!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

0 Ratings