cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Fibre connection to the house

Go to solution

Hi

Full fibre has recently been installed in our area  and I’m considering switching to BT for broadband

How is the connection to the house actually made? ie what work will be needed and who by

Current BT landline comes into the house from underground

Also, the BT website is "suggesting"  I add a digital/internet phone to the order. I assume this won't work if the internet is down or we lose power?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Fibre connection to the house

Go to solution

@nithsdalenoddy1 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

See https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist

All phone connections are now over Digital Voice.

See https://landlinesgo.digital/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

If the current Openreach ‘line’ is underground , if it’s ducted the same duct is used to bring in the fibre cable to your house wall , if it’s DIG ( direct in ground ) then a small excavation is needed from the footpath to your house wall , and possibly from the footpath to a footway jointbox that houses the fibre ‘connector’ …this work done by Openreach or a contractor working on behalf of them.

The property  gets a block fitted ( a CSP ) where the external cable exits  the ground and another internal cable runs from the block to  the ONT , which is a powered device so needs to be near a power outlet, the ONT can be where you want it , within reason , it doesn’t have to be near the existing master phone socket , unless that’s what you want , the router connects to the ONT .

If you want telephony ( its optional you don’t need to take a phone service ) as with all new provision it will be via the broadband service , the phone plugs into the router so a power outage will stop the phone working , for those without a mobile and sufficiently concerned, there are ways to keep the service up by using a battery back up / uninterruptible power supply

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
thanks
0 Ratings