cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Fibre on Demand

Does anyone have the contact details for Openreach to carry out a survey re fibre on demand?

I've been on their website which basically says contact you service provider.

A bit of back ground:

At the moment I have FTTC and every time I ask BT about FTTP (as I've had download speeds dropping to 0.5mb/s) they say it's not in my area. However, I know for a fact that 0.3 miles down the road from me a local school has had FTTP installed and there are telegraph poles on my road with yellow stickers saying "fibre overhead".

What would be the rough costs to extend a fibre cable 0.3 miles? 

Thanks for any help.

S

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre on Demand

@sdfuk 

Try https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/fibre-broadband/new-fttp-on-demand

Prices are on that website.

This is a  Business only product.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

BT Retail don't sell FTTP on Demand as it is a dedicated business service. This is not the same as WBC FTTP which is being rolled out for Retail customers.

Just because a pole has a sticker saying 'fibre overhead' does not mean it is Openreach fibre or if it is even for broadband and even if it was it is not a simple matter of cutting into it to provide a service.

If you do find a provider for FTTPoD  (there are a few) you would be starting at about £250 for the survey which would be deducted from the install of at least £10,000 should you go ahead. The monthly cost is in the hundreds also.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Currently there is actually a trial of a different pricing structure for FTTPod , but as already stated BT Consumer are not an ISP that offers this particular Openreach product , and as already said , OR are not customer facing…so ( basically ) you need to  find an ISP that offers FTTPod , they contact OR on your behalf and if you proceed with an order, any monies paid , you pay to that  ISP , and your initial contract for service will also be with that ISP….

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hi all

Thanks for your replies. Still looking into this.

S

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Chances are the school that has ‘fibre’ will have a fibre leased line….this isn’t the same as native FTTP , or FTTPod , with FTTPod the costs are based on getting service from the nearest fibre aggregation node, not from the nearest point that  ‘fibre’ exists…so even if the school is close by , the  chances are it will have no baring on the cost of providing FTTPod for yourself.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

The school may not even be on the Openreaches network, VM have and still do supply FTTP to schools and local Governments.

0 Ratings