cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Fibre to a flat

Go to solution

That shows you can definitely get FTTP via Openreach which is fantastic. Looks like the ISP database has been updated if you can now see Full Fibre Broadband products as available. Sometimes it varies how long it takes and what speeds show up as available on various customer facing checkers. Which is understandably confusing! Are you now able to see Full Fibre 900 (and other products) on the BT consumer broadband website checker? 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution
Yep, I can now see the full Fibre 900 is available for the address, which is great news as I'll be looking to put an offer on the flat now!
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution
That's great! FTTP 900 is wonderful to have!
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution
Because the info on the checker shows SDU/MDU external CBT , complex, then unlike some apartments where there is a common internal point where all individual units would be served from your service would appear to be served from an external CBT ( pole or wall mounted most likely ) but the installer may need special tools or assistance to get the fibre into your apartment, AFAIK, you won’t get an appointment as such , but a date for a visit, if it can be done on that day , that’s great…if OR have to arrange something extra ( like long ladders , or someone who is flat roof trained etc ) then the date can slide without compensation being due ( well not to the ISP from Openreach) , it’s like the two stage install where they confirm no issues before committing to the contractual date…what the ISP does with that is between themselves and the consumer
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

Screenshot 2024-09-14 105145.pngHi Jac, 

Not sure if you can help me out here. I moved into a new flat and Plusnet, vodaphone and BT say that my address doesn't exist on the Openreach network. When I go to purchase broadband my address shows up on the BT list but when I go to check out it moves to a house with my flat number down the road.

BT said that they could get me broadband but they would have to put in a phone line and I would only get 3MB/s, so I have ended up going with mobile broadband. I have an Openreach master socket 5c in my living room.

I have done the check that you posted but I am not too sure what it all means. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shaun

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution
There would appear to be a discrepancy with your address , is the DSL checker return for your exact address ( the one held by the Royal Mail ) or you selected one that was pretty close match , but not identical.
Is your flat properly registered, has its own front door , it’s own utilities and is liable for its own council tax ( so not a shared address ) , and if a recently completed conversion of a house into a MDU ( multi dwelling unit ) did the developer register the conversion with the appropriate authorities , so that the address information flows down to the appropriate systems that rely on this information
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks @iniltous

I found the UPRN number from a website which shows the same address that royal mail has. If I use a different flat number I get a different UPRN. I also used the address checker using the same format as Royal Mail.

I am responsible for my own council tax, have my own front door and utilities. I believe the building was a purpose built MDU and has 21 flats. The building name did show up as an option for when I was talking to the broadband providers but not with any flat numbers.

I might have to contact the management company then, if they haven't registered it properly. Everything broadband related has been sent to the house down the street with the same number as my flat, whereas all other deliveries have been fine. I have emailed Openreach but it seems they don't respond to anything.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution
It’s probable that your flat , irrespective of the address having inconsistencies, doesn’t have FTTP from Openreach available, generally an area can be made ready for FTTP , so all the SDU ( single dwelling units ) have FTTP available to order , but any MDU are deliberately excluded from the rollout , for various reasons but in the main , it’s because no permission exists to cable inside the common areas of the building, with an SDU , any work on the customer site is obviously granted by the householder ordering the service, and work in the footpath, roads etc covered by the NRSWA ( an act of Parliament ) so no third party permission, someone owning or renting a flat in a MDU cannot give permission for anything other than their individual unit , so it’s not possible to get a cable to the flat without encroachment onto someone else’s property like corridors , risers , footwells etc ( they are the property of the freeholder , property management company, etc ) , hence the decision to ignore MDU in the rollout .
When MDU are given access to FTTP , a separate organisation within OR , will have had discussions, obtained permission and pre wired the common areas , and leave an access point outside each flat within the MDU , if this hasn’t happened FTTP won’t be available, even if the address issues are corrected .
If it’s not FTTP that you want but FTTC ( fibre to the cabinet ) , and you suspect that getting the address data corrected , you will be able to order that , provided the copper pair service into the MDU is via a cabinet and the cabinet has spare FTTC slots
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Okay iniltous, looks like it is not really worth trying to get the address issue sorted then as I don't think FTTP was installed when the building was built, and I believe FTTC was what the guy at BT was talking about then, as he said he would need to put in a phone line and could then use a copper wire, although he said it would be very bad speeds. I have been using mobile broadband for a month now and it has been decent, hopefully I don't run into any issues with it.

Thanks for all the info though, it is good to know.

0 Ratings