cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Flashing purple light on hub

I have set up my hub but I don't have a enthernet port in my house but when I plug the wan cable in to a wireless connection the light goes to sold orange light.

Do I need to get a enthernet port installed.

I have the bordband cable connected but still haven't got Internet it comes from a phone port cable.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Flashing purple light on hub

It looks like you've got broadband via FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) with the final connection over copper wire.
If that's the case, then you need to connect your "phone port", via a suitable filter, to the RJ11 port on your hub. The cable needs to have RJ11 plugs on each end.
You do NOT need an ethernet port or ethernet cable to connect your hub to the broadband service
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

@chrisjp  Okay thanks for that when I unplug the ethernet cable from the wan port its still flashing purple any idea

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

ont-pon.jpg

Keith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

which of the above are you connecting to the hub - top pic or one 5/6/7?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

So it 6 from the wall to a adsl connector then into the hub. 

When the wan cable is in it flashes orange when it's unpluges its flashes purple I looked on bt website and it says we don't have Internet to the hub.

So will this be a out error i.e the maid box i live in a flat and no one eles is having this problem 

Screenshot_20240211-102513_Google.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Try it without the inline filter and plug the cable directly into the top socket on the wall.

The WAN port is irrelevant in that setup.  You can switch it back to being a LAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

The wire for the broadband need to connect to the inline as that's the only way it connect to the hub 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Strange?  With FTTC to the master socket like that, the lead supplied is usually RJ11 to RJ11 plug to go from the DSL socket on the hub to the RJ11 socket on the filter.  One of the jobs of the filter is then to convert it to a BT phone plug to plug into a phone socket.

If you have socket 6 you don't need that.  In fact, the filter blocks the high frequency broadband signal from causing interference on the voice-side.  Socket 6 has a built-in filter.  By plugging into the phone socket, you are effectively connecting to a socket with the broadband signal already filtered out.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Thought occurs…

BT send out two versions of the Smart Hub 2.  One with a cat 5 cable, (RJ45 to RJ45 plug), to connect the WAN port to a box on the wall with lights on it called an ONT.  (The top picture posted by IMJolly).  This is the set up for “Full Fibre” or FTTP.  For this the old phone socket is obsolete and you don’t connect the hub to it.

Sockets 5 to 7 in the diagram are for FTTC/VDSL, just “Fibre 1 or 2”.  For this they send out an RJ11 to RJ11 cable to connect to the DSL port on the hub to the phone master socket.  You indicated you had socket 6, implying you have FTTC.

They may have sent you the wrong lead, as that does happen but first of all I suggest you clarify which broadband package are you on?  Is it FTTC/VDSL or Full Fibre?  If it is FTTP/Full Fibre your should have an ONT somewhere.  (It may be tucked away in cupboard if it is a new build).  If it is FTTC/VDSL are you sure it is activated yet?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

I think I found the problem the farther in law came out and had a look amd I think he made it 10x worse 

20240212_064906.jpg

0 Ratings