cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Flying new fibre through trees

Go to solution

Hi

Have been using an underground NTL fibre line for past 20 + years but VM are too expensive so want to order an open reach connection.

Current copper overhead phone line not been in use for decades and now runs through the middle of 3 of the neighbours tree. It also enters into the opposite side of the house and about 60 metres from where we need the router to be based.

My question is, would openreach fly the cable through the existing (impacted) route and then run an extension to the opposite side of the house, or might they fly an entirely new line and get it to the correct side? Or can they sometimes lay the cable in the ground instead please?
thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Flying new fibre through trees

Go to solution

can you enter your address and post results including the attached notes  this will give idea of intended install

remember delete address

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

You have been using a coaxial cable for 20 years ( not fibre ) with Virgin , as far as your potential BT line , if your area has FTTP , the existing ( but unused ) copper dropwire could be used as a ‘draw rope’ to pull the fibre cable through the trees , if your area isn’t FTTP then the existing copper dropwire unless it’s damaged/faulty will be used again , even if it’s decades since it was last in service.

If FTTP is available a new optical cable is installed but it doesn’t need terminate at the same place as the copper pair service master socket , but there are practical limits , they do look to put the CSP and ONT where the customer wants them , but if what the customer wants is impractical or would take too much time the installer may refuse , in which case if compromise can’t be agreed the installer would return the job .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you, extremely helpful. I was going to cancel VM in parallel with new instal but it seems I better do that consecutively in case the job gets cancelled for technical difficulty.  
I always thought the NTL was fibre, but I must be wrong. It’s currently giving me 900 mbps which I thought was beyond capacity for coax (but I’m scientist not engineer).

thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks

(there were some html images in the table which were rejected by this message format, but the notes are below….

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability WBC SOGEA AvailabilityHigh Low High Low      VDSL Range A (Clean) Dasein_0-1722686250985.gif
VDSL Range B (Impacted) Dasein_1-1722686250985.gif
G.fast Range A (Clean) Dasein_2-1722686250985.gif
G.fast Range B (Impacted) Dasein_3-1722686250983.gif

42.1308.26.125UnavailableException
41.3258.15.918.9UnavailableException
----------Unavailable--
----------Unavailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Up to 1000Up to 220--Available1 Stage
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL Multicast
Available
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
Y
Y
N

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed hoist required.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

As a fibre priority exchange, FTTP has priority over other products if available at the address

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This site is in an FTTP priority area where FTTP is available but exceptionally SOGEA will also show as available to order but only at Non-Standard Premises (NSP) such as Hot site, Uninhabitable and Temporary locations. Migrations of WLR Solus (voice-only lines) is also allowed but only for SOGEA 0.5Mbps bandwidths. SOGEA 40/10 bandwidths order is also allowed.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception. 

Thank you for your interest

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

The  checker shows FTTP available, overhead ( no surprise there ) and hoist required ( probably because of the trees ) , IMHO , unless you are moving the phone number from VM to BT , then getting the BT service in and running before cancelling the VM service is worth the month of paying for two services to ensure you don’t get left without any service , should a problem be encountered on the FTTP .

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Wow, 60m. What’s the name of the Castle you live in?

Anyway, if the existing Copper Line is redundant they can use that to Cut and Draw the new Fibre Drop Cable through. Yes this means it’ll run through the trees but Tree Guards will sort that out.

If you want it put UG you’d probably have to pay for the Network Construction Costs. Given you live in a Castle I’d imagine that’d be expensive. 

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thats brilliant, thanks. It’s not my trade but I can see it is a considerable task to do it.
A couple of years back I tried switching to sky and they tried to recommission the copper line and in the end they gave up. I’d already turned VM off so was stuck without any provision.

Youfibre just knocked on our door to tell me they are doing an install next week, I’ve just looked and they seem to be considerably cheaper (circa 30%)  for the identical performance fibre broadband and VOIP from BT/EE with no annual in contract price increase. They told me that flying an overhead fibre  was the only option for them. I need to think about whom I go with as this is a newly available option.

but thanks so much for help

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Just a normal detached house but we are in the hills in a national park where land is cheap and they don’t need to make houses like sardine cans. Sky have tried to reinstate the line before but they gave up, which left me without any service for weeks, hence my concern.

thanks anyway, I have the answer I need. 

0 Ratings