cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Full Fibre 900 being fitted tomorrow

Go to solution

Good evening, I am having Full Fibre 900 fitted tomorrow afternoon and just need a couple of questions answering if possible. Can I ask the engineer to put the entry point of the fibre cable to a different location than the standard phone line / master socket. The reason why is the master socket is right at the end of the house and its in the furthest room away from the lounge / kids bedrooms so the Wi-Fi has always been a bit iffy even with 4 discs (I live in a large house). I want the router putting in the hall as its central to the rest of the house. Secondly Bt said my BT smart hub 2 will do for full fibre but I noticed it has not get a RED WAN PORT on the rear only 4 yellow ports, will that give me any issues or does that not make any difference . Many thanks Colin 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Full Fibre 900 being fitted tomorrow

Go to solution

@welshvikingwrote:

Secondly Bt said my BT smart hub 2 will do for full fibre but I noticed it has not get a RED WAN PORT on the rear only 4 yellow ports, will that give me any issues or does that not make any difference .

Hi @welshviking   You simply need to enable port 4 to Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode by turning it On.

Untitled.png

Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

As has been stated on the forum countless times, the location of the ONT is not required to be where the master socket is located. It will depend if it is practical to fit it where you would like it located and will have to be agreed with the engineer on the day.

With the latest firmware, LAN port 4 can be configured as a WAN port in the hub settings for FTTP.

Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Many thanks for the replies it was very much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

The full fibre was fitted and according to the Smart Hub Manager I am on External (FTTX) Wan Link Speed 1000Mbps. However on various speed test it is only getting approx 200 down and 49 up. I have tried a router reset but still the same. The only pc I have which is close to a router is my trusty old Lenovo think centre on Wifi, the other 2 pc's which are expensive gaming computers are in the kids bedrooms also on wifi. I can stretch an ethernet lead if need be from my pc to the back of the router. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

It's always best to test speed via ethernet connection as there are too many causes of interference to wireless.

Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Unfortunately everyone that gave advice before the install failed to notice in your original post that your WiFi wasn't up to par. While you can get away with that on FTTC, the speeds you can get with FTTP means that you won't get the full benefit of speed using WiFi.

Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

The router is now in the middle of the house in the hallway, just connected an ethernet lead and the speed on BT WHOLESALE site is 273.44 down and 10.77 up 

Another test from a different site with Ethernet lead  239.4 Mbps download 9.78 Mbps upload

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

The router will always report 1000Mbps as it is just the GbE link to the ONT that it is measuring. Your upload speed should improve after approx 48 hours when a configuration change is sent to the hub by BT.

Don't forget FTTP is a very heavily contended service, up to 30 customers could be sharing the 2.5Gbs backhaul to the OLT.

Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@licquorice Have ever had an slowdowns on your FTTP?

Personally not had any slowdowns and most people around here have FTTP.

Note: That configuration change only applies to the above 50mb upload, doesn't apply to the actual profile as that is set during the build.

0 Ratings