cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Full Fibre 900 very poor Wi-Fi performance

Hi, 

I have just had full fibre 900 installed. We were previously on Halo 3+ where the router was connected to a phone line in the converted loft office room (3rd level) where Wi-Fi performance was always pretty good across the house. I’ve had complete Wi-Fi  3 black discs for a while but in all honestly this was only required for the back of the house, so all was good. I got offered FTTP for a decent price so chose to go with it.

The ONT was installed in the downstairs front room as there was a hole already in the wall from a previous installation a few years ago. My issue is since it’s all been installed, Wi-Fi coverage is now absolutely terrible. The upstairs bathroom loses Wi-Fi completely and the room just down the hallway from the front room gets poor speeds. I’ve connected via Ethernet to the smart hub and got speeds of 800+ but the best I’ve had via Wi-Fi is 321 and this drops to 80 in he next room,  and barely 20 in the bathroom where it even drops out completely.

When the hub was in the loft room previously, Wi-Fi coverage was much better on just standard fibre

Surely full fibre doesn’t affect range that much does it? 

Also, can I get the ONT etc moved to the loft room now free of charge? And if not, can I cancel and return to my previous setup? ie FTTC 

Thanks for any help in advance 

Kev

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Full Fibre 900 very poor Wi-Fi performance

The WiFi problem has nothing to do with the change to FTTP but the change in location of the SH2 

You can request a move of the ONT but you will be charged for the move.  This was covered in a previous similar post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Full Fibre 900 very poor Wi-Fi performance

Thanks for the response 

I understand to a degree that the moving of the hub can affect performance in certain areas

But I don’t understand how previously the SH2 could give a decent signal from the loft room to the front room 2 floors below, but now the SH2 is in that room it suddenly can’t supply a signal to 1 floor above? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Can I cancel Full Fibre 900 after 1 day?

Hi, 

Can I cancel my new full fibre 900 contract after 1 day? 

My router is in a new place now and I’m not getting coverage all over my house now. I was before I upgraded to FTTP

Am I allowed to revert back to my old contract with FTTC on the old line?

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Re: Can I cancel Full Fibre 900 after 1 day?

You could but would it not be easier to move your BT hub to the same location as your old one was sited.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

It would, but unfortunately the ONT has been installed at the front of the house, 2 floors lower than the room the router was in previously (converted loft) 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@DinkyDoughnut 

You can connect the ONT to the home hub using a longer Ethernet cable, or powerline adapters.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-flex-1000-kit-080219-BB4X.html

You can then put the home hub wherever you wish, they do not have to be next to each other.

As you have moved to FTTP, your old FTTC connection will no longer be available.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe 

Ive used powerline adapters before and always found them hit and miss so wouldn’t really want to rely on them. 

Just out of curiosity though, are you saying I could connect one of the adapters to the ONT, and then another one upstairs that the SH2 could connect to? And it would work well with full fibre 900? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

If its just an issue with wireless coverage, the BTs Complete Wi-Fi system should solve the issue.

https://www.bt.com/help/bt-halo/what-is-complete-wi-fi-

They also have an Ethernet port.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Yes I have that with the 3 discs which do help, especially after testing them in various locations, but coverage overall still seems weaker now the router has moved and mesh network not as effective as before, so think I do need to reposition it, preferably more centrally. I currently get high 300mbs on Wi-Fi in the room where the router is.

If I got those powerline adapters, and connected one to the ONT and the other in another (more central) room connected to the router, would there be any/big loss of speed? I obviously want better overall coverage but don’t want to sacrifice speed too much 

0 Ratings