cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Full Fibre upload speed query

Go to solution

Just want to say, no complaints here. All has been running great for a while apart from the odd Smart Hub 2 disconnect every few weeks - I read this might be normal to happen once every 2 weeks? I was actually thinking of manually powering the hub off at an odd time like 5am in the hopes this might mean the disconnect that occurs every two weeks may happen at a time where no one would notice. Assuming it's not just random that is.

Anyway, back to my query. Speeds are all good here, but I was looking at the Openreach website and put my address details in and it shows that I can get upto 220Mb upload speed.

I am quoted from BT to expect 110Mb in the Speeds explained part of the MyBT app, and that's fine, I do seem be getting that. My question is - should I be getting the upto 220Mb Upload that Openreach is suggesting?

I am on the Full Fibre 900 package.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Full Fibre upload speed query

Go to solution

110mbps will be the hand back speed at which Openreach investigate for a fault somewhere but this is the speed to your ONT/Hub and not to your devices. If you're not getting this, it's most likely down to your devices maxing out at 110mbps and speed tests will also give varying result or there is localised congestion causing a dip in performance.

I'm on a 500mbps Openreach connection via another ISP and I can get 3 different results from 3 different speed checkers and it varies depending on time of day.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
I was mainly querying why BT says my speed is upto 110Mb and Openreach says it would be upto 220Mb.

I know speeds can fluctuate somewhat from time to time, but on the few occasions I have timed and checked upload speeds they seem relatively consistsnt with what BT tells me my speed should be - they say it will be between 110Mb - 110Mb, which I also thought was unusual. Yet Openreach website clearly shows it should be upto 220Mb.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Here are  screenshots to show what I mean.  This is from My BT account speed page and also from Openreach website after selecting my address.

You will see fhe upload speeds differ. On Fast.com wired I frequently see 930Mb to 1Gb download, but the Upload is never above 110Mb on speed tests. I never expected it to be any higher either, I am only questioning this now due to the Openreach quoted speeds. This has me thinking there may be a problem or that I am not getting the full potential of my service.

IMG_1715.jpeg

IMG_1720.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Openreach have many FTTP speed profiles on offer to ISP’s  and on the 1Gb download profile ( sold as 900Mb by ISP’s to keep the ASA happy ) offer two upload speeds  , 110Mb and 220Mb , the ISP can then  then pick from those available and offer whatever ones they want to sell to their retail customers, so although the highest upload speed available from Openreach is 220Mb , BT don’t offer it , they instead take the 110Mb upload .

Both checkers are correct  ,  Openreach can provide  up-to 220Mb uploads to any ISP that wants it , but  BT chose not  to take that particular profile, they take ( as do most mass market ISP ) the 110Mb upload profile instead …if BT wanted to , they could offer both , but don’t as its much more expensive product , (  OR charge more at the wholesale level for 220Mb upload than 110Mb upload ) .

You may find an ISP that does take the 900/220Mb from Openreach and then retails it to their customers, but it’s probably going to be expensive in comparison, and only for those that really want and are prepared to pay for that extra upload speed.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

That makes sense, thanks for helping me wrap my head around that.

0 Ratings