cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Full broadband installation

Go to solution

I have recently had bt full fibre  installed. Fibre is installed in our street and there is a tap off point at the foot of our garden wall, as is for all households along our road. Typical full fibre installation regarding my neighbours intails the fibre being run from the tap off point at the foot of their garden wall and buried under the garden to enter the dwelling,  a run of approximately 6 metres. I assumed my installation would be similar. However,  the fibre has been connected via a telegraph pole and cable tied to a drain pipe. I did ask the installer why the fibre was not installed as my neighbours,  the reply was it was cheaper to do an overhead installation.  I would like the fibre to be installed from the street and am prepared to dig a trench for the burial of the cable. Has anyone done this and if so, what was the cost of bt returning to reinstall the fibre.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Full broadband installation

Go to solution

BT didn't install it, Openreach did.  I can't see how the fibre would have been run from a pole if the Toby box is at the foot of your garden wall. That aside, you need to get Openreach back to do a proper job, the fibre should not have been cable tied to a drainpipe!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Screenshot_20231110-164645_Gallery.jpg

 The Toby box at the foot of my garden wall, fibre cable tied to black drainpipe , entered house under window, you can just see box behind bushes.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

That doesn't make sense. Is there a CBT at the top of the pole you are fed from? Are you sure the Toby box is Openreach and not an Alt net box?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Post the return for your address from here
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressFeatureProduct

The part you need looks like this ( this is a property with existing duct )

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

Yours will say overhead if that is the intended method, or built to the curtilage if using a Toby box

However , the chances are the CBT on the pole and the CBT in a joint box are from the same ‘splitter’ so optically the same path to the headend .

Getting  under the wall outside your property is a complication but not a deal breaker , if the Toby box was provided for your property then the DSL checker should also say KCI2 Assure as the install process,  overhead is single stage , but if the survey said built to curtilage Openreach don’t send an overhead installer they send a dig team on the first stage visit.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

That isn’t an Openreach Toby Box, it’s CityFibres, possibly Virgin Media’s.

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Apparently it was installed by virgin media in 2019 using openreach ducts.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
In which case it’s exclusively for Virgins use , no one else
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13