cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 33

Re: Full fibre insallation

Go to solution

Just an update, another installer came from the same company which was Quinn, What a difference he knocked the door said he had come to fit my full fibre. I showed him where my router was and he immediately started looking for a route for the indoor cable. End of story was, we decided where I wanted the ONT he fitted it there and run the fibre cable to the box outside, clipped to joist in the cellar and up through a small hole in the floorboard. I have about 12 inches of cable showing that is it. Very neat job, the guy is a credit to the company. Neater than the other option, of an RJ45 extension, which he was happy to provide if I had wanted it doing that way.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 33

Go to solution

As you have a cellar (something else you didn't mention) it would have been a quick job for him. Quinn guys don't hang about as they are paid per job. They aren't sent on premium installs either.

Nevertheless a result for you.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 33

Go to solution

But I did mention it to the other installer. 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 33

Go to solution

This is one reason why I wish we could place orders and set out all requirements in writing in an email so we have a written record  rather than people being told something completely different on the telephone.

Eg when we get FTTP in my area I only want it if it will come right round to the very back of the house and into my office  (much much much more outside wiring than the quickest way into the house). How to impose that term into the contract before I am bound and be able to prove it I assume will be almost impossible even if I were to send a special delivery signed for letter.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 33

Go to solution

@Jane2018 

You will not get that commitment however when the fitter comes to install FTTP you can discuss where you would like the installation and if installer says no then you can just stop the install

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 33

Go to solution

Reading these posts, can I assume that Openreach won't install the connection to the router where their existing phone and broadband socket box is located? My hub is positioned centrally near the NEC box  within my property but if Openreach only install on the other side of an external wall than the router will not be central, which seems so  go against advice of positioning the router for optimum wi-fi coverage.

As it is, and has always been, the phone line cable enters into the loft space (bungalow), from where it is routed across the loft and then down to a central position in a bedroom.

Like most, there was no contact with me on any positioning issue but an installer is coming in a few days to install outside cabling, apparently not requiring access indoors, in advance of final installation and migration in 2 weeks.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 33

Go to solution

Where Openreach install the ONT and where you wish to site the router are independent. There is nothing stopping you running up to 100 metres of Cat5e cable between the 2

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 33

Go to solution
Not practical though. I'd need to rip up walls or under floors. That wouldn't have been acceptable when the phone line was installed.
Message 29 of 33

Go to solution

So how is it practical for Openreach to do so in order to site the ONT where you want it?

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 33

Go to solution
Follow the route of their phone line installation. Via the loft.