cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Future proofing for fiber installation in 130 year old house

Hello,

I'm currently renovating a 130 year old house. The house has been rewired with cat6 throughout terminating under the stairs in the middle of the house where I plan to have networking gear. Unfortunately FTTH is not available in my area yet but I plan to uptake once available. Im having cable installed until then. Before I put floors down and lose access to the subfloor I'm considering what I can do to allow fiber to be run into the switch area at a later date. The subfloor is too shallow for someone to crawl so I presume my only option is to leave a conduit with a pull string. I'm unsure where it is likely the fiber may come into my house in the future therefore don't know where to run the conduit to. Does anyone have any tips of where bt will likely try to terminate? Can I install an internal fiber in advance?

Thanks,

Colin

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Future proofing for fiber installation in 130 year old house

You could install the Conduit to where the Copper Line currently enters the house as that’s most likely where the Fibre will be fed to the External CSP, especially if it’s currently UG Fed.

I’d avoid putting to many bends on the Conduit, the Internal EZ Bend Fibre Openreach use it quite thick and doesn’t have a massive bend radius, you’d certainly have trouble pulling it through more than 3 bends depending on how wide the conduit is and what you’re using to pull the Fibre with.

As for putting your own Fibre in first you’d ideally have to get the same type of EZ Bend Cable Openreach use, I believe it’s made by Comscope if I remember rightly and needs an SC Connector.

Put in one they don’t like/use and they might refuse to use it on ‘Quality Grounds’. 

0 Ratings