cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Going round in Circles

Been on BT Broadband for around 15 years and always had a good service with zero complains but just recently been having low internet speeds, connection drops 3-4 times a day. When rebooting it takes around 1 hour to get back online. Even restarting my router or turning it off for 1 minute, it takes an hour to get back online. It flashes orange for ages then flash purple then goes back to flashing orange. Normally soon as I turn my router on it flashes green then orange and then blue. Speeds has been so poor too. It struggles at times. 

Contacted BT 4 times. Had engineers out 3 times. They come, do the tests, go to the green box on the street and put down as job completed. I check internet speed and still the same low poor speeds. This has been going on for 4 months now and no one seem to want to fix it. I have had a new router sent to me and I have even reset my PC back to factory settings. So, it's a fault in the line between my router and the green box on the street.

Getting help is like pulling teeth. You put in a fault, they send someone a week later and they just do a few minutes checking it and then put as job completed.

At this point of going elsewhere as we are paying for the phone as well as the broadband and without internet our phone don't work. Maybe it's time to move on and try someone else. I know I could get better speeds for my money elsewhere. Paying £48 a month for 38 mpbs whereas the Competitive is charging £29.99 for 150 mpbs.

So, what advice would you give me. Our contact ends in April, we are not getting the speeds we are paying for. I stream on Twitch, so I need a connection that doesn't go down every few hours. Surely need compensation as we are paying and sometimes not getting what we paid for. Is it time to move on since BT don't want to help?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Going round in Circles

as you are on digital voice your phone number will not work in the link I will post so need to use  your address  this will show what is available to you  please include the notes

do you know if you can get FTTP - fibre to your home?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Going round in Circles

BT goes round in circles because the men on the ground are poor quality, possibly because they get poor support from their employer. I include BT, Openreach, and Kelly's in this. At all levels I find they often understand the problem but just cannot get it fixed by anyone. Mostly they agree that the problem exists and depart saying they will "escalate" it to one of the above organisations. Sometimes they do, sometimes they just forget to do it, sometimes they set the fault as "fixed" when they agreed it wasn't. Here is my experience:

I was offered 'BT Halo 3 900'  for 'only £1pm more than your copper contract' (eg: £57). Installation by a Kelly engineer went well despite his lack of computing knowledge, but the download data rate didn't pass 100mbps because BT has 'forgotten to update their system'. (An interesting point). Eventually it rose to 375mbps, rather less than the 700 minimum promise. Throughout the tests were done using a separate new Smarthub 2 and a single PC without any other connections.

I was dealing with BT technical support and a very competent engineer called Stephen. As a last resort he ordered a visit by a "BT Technical Expert" - you get a free expert visit once a year in the contract - only this one was the worst of the lot. He couldn't find my house because he was searching on the odd numbered side of the road, and only discovered it when using my drive to turn round; I told him that Stephen had run a test at his end which showed a line speed of 900mbps, but he had never heard of this and didn't know what I was talking about. He said it was a line fault and he would "escalate it to Openreach". HE DIDN'T.

By now, the download speed had reached 512mbps, influenced by choosing the most sympathetic test app by Ookla. Finally, Stephen said why not change your contract to BT Halo3 500 ? I admit to telling him I only wanted what the contract said, rather than actually needing 900mbps, and as it would save me nearly £20pm I agreed. At least we had proved that the line could deliver 500mbps.  Guess what speed I get now ? - 375mbps. Explain that !!

0 Ratings