cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Halo 3 (FTTC) extremely slow upload speeds (less than 1mbps)

Hi, I know similar threads to this has been posted previously but not recently and it has been suggested a new post would be useful. 

I've HALO3 (FTTC) broadband and up till recently I  had reasonable service speeds ( 50+ download and 10+ upload - on the guaranteed 43mbps+ download  and 10 to 12mbps upload) ) but about two weeks ago both speeds dropped (37'ish download and 0.2 upload!). I got the helpdesk to test and they couldn't see any problems BUT they were unable to run the remote tests, presumable due to the very low upload speeds, anyway was off on holiday that week so now revisiting the issue.

Bits of info:

• HALO3 FTTC service, now with with IP /digital phones
  • Only about 30meters from the cab
  • Copper UG feed to the house direct from the cabinet
  • Internal cable terminates directly onto the NTE with no (old) extension fitted, 

I had an engineer call yesterday, (nice chap, aren't or weren't we all)  he changed the NTE and the HUB and the download speeds have now been consistently over 50mbps but he couldn't get the upload above 0.7mbps! he advised waiting a while (24hours) and see if it improved and it hasn't. Still 0.7mbps upload.

I'm intending to re-contact the desk today but wondered if there was any info out there so I can point them in the correct direction !

BTW upgrading to FTTP isn't an option yet, about 3 months away.

Thanks for any anticipated help 🙂 

cheers Jim 

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Halo 3 (FTTC) extremely slow upload speeds (less than 1mbps)

Try the automated trouble-shooter, hopefully that will pick up the fault & get you an Openreach engineer, rather than a pound shop version,

https://www.bt.com/help/report-and-track-your-bt-problem

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Hi Guru

Already tried that, that won't run, possibly due to the lack of upload capability. Also the desk sent me a link to try remote speed test/diagnostics and that wouldn't run either, again apparently due to the lack of upload capabilities! 

The desk advised me to use the BT Wholesale speed test, which does work OK. 

It's apparently the same issue that stops or drastically restricts me seeing my on line security cameras and doorbell from off site.

Cheers Jim 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Then I can only suggest you go back to the phone & re-iterate that their "engineer" ran away without solving the problem & you need a visit from Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

If you are such a short distance from the cabinet even your downstream speed seems poor , post your router statistics ( advanced settings ) 

and the predicted speed from here ( use address as you are on DV ) 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Message 6 of 23

@iniltous 

Presumably @coleyjf is on Fibre 1? Although that would seem odd as a cost saving measure giving they're paying the premium for Halo 3. I'm not sure why posters conflate their add-ons with their broadband service.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

Not sure what you mean @iniltous. Conflate?

It's fttc, fttp would have been offered as a solution but that's not available here for a few months aparently? 

Cheers, Jim ( coleyjf) 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

@coleyjfwrote:

Not sure what you mean @iniltous. Conflate?

That was me. When you say you have Halo 3, that is just an add-on, so we have no idea which FTTC product you're on. May seem pedantic but you're on Fibre 1 with Halo 3 or Fibre 2 with Halo 3.

If you're really 30 metres from the cabinet then you should have Fibre 2 speeds available unless you've specifically chosen Fibre 1. So it's possible that you be on Fibre 2 but incorrectly limited to Fibre 1 speeds. But then you weren't complaining about the 50Mb down.

But none of this will be causing your slow upload. Although the stats @iniltous askded for would be good to see.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

Hi my guaranteed speeds are 43mbps and 10 up to 12 mbps  according to my contract info. M, beliwcwhich I'm entitled to the £20 rebate

Im

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

There is no upload speed guarantee.

As you don't seem to want to provide the info that @iniltous asked for, not much more anyone here can do.

0 Ratings