cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Halo 3 Vs Halo 1 (internet speed reduction)

Hi,

I've recently been upgraded* from Halo 1 to Halo 3 and in doing so I've seen my predicted and guaranteed internet speeds dramatically drop?

Halo 1:

47-71 mps (normal 18 mps)

Guaranteed  download 37 mps..

Halo 3:

9-10 mps (normal 5-6 mps)

Guaranteed download 8mps..

This reads as a massive step backwards and less of an upgrade* and I'm yet to run any tests.. but why would the contracted speeds be reduced?

Needless to say I'm not going to be pleased if my service speeds have been reduced, whilst costing me more money for the privilege.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Halo 3 Vs Halo 1 (internet speed reduction)

None of those figures make sense.

Halo 1 47-71 mb but you normally get 18mb even though your guaranteed minimum is 37mb???

Post the hub connection stats found in Advanced settings/thechnical log/information.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi pippincp,

I managed to have a look today (I'm yet to provide any logs), but the issue appears to be corrosion in the master socket and more so.. corrosion on the extension terminals within the market socket. 

My extension has a lot of noise (crackles, especially on the quiet test), normally we don't have a landline plugged in so this escaped under the radar.

If I use the master socket with faceplate I get around 5-8mps dn 6mps up, without faceplate the speeds increased to 30mps dn 15 MPs up.

Moving my router to the master socket isn't really an option as the master socket is located on the top floor of 3 and my office is in the basement.

I think I may just call an engineer or and have the master socket replaced. It also looks like there are no preventative measures in place within the hole in the wall (no silicon) etc etc..

Once the master socket and extension issues have been resolved I'll go back to looking at why predicted and contracted speeds have dropped between halo1 & halo 3.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Screenshot_20210215-220349~2.png

Screenshot_20210214-143519~2.png

 fyi this is what I had under halo 1.. (excuse the volume slider in the screen shot, but the other screen shot confirms numbers).

This is my predicted / contacted halo 3 speeds via the BT app:

Screenshot_20210215-220910~2.png

 why such a drop?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

can you enter phone number or address and post results remember delete number/addresss

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Cabinet 1
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 60 20 17 53.3 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 78.9 55 20 15 44 Available Available --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 1000 220 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6.5 -- 5.5 to 7.5 Available Available Yes
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 6.5 Up to 1 5.5 to 7.5 Available Available Yes
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 5 to 8 Available Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Available Yes
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 10.77
Max Observed Upstream Speed 6.76
Observed Date 2021-02-14
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap N
VRI N
NTE FacePlate N
Last Test Date 06-08-2019
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal N
SOADSL Restriction Y
The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31 Oct 2012. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Thank you for your interest

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Multi_0-1613465576981.png

FYI an online check without being  signed in shows BT will offer my old speeds?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

the speed range for your line is 80/60mb and you are nowhere near that.  if your comments about corrosion in master socket are correct then that is cause of your problem.  if corrosion is due to homeowner problems then you may be charge for engineer visit but if external then should be free.

if you report to BT then phone 151 and report phone fault - noisy line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings